News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: shopping in Sheerness back then  (Read 11213 times)

Minsterboy

Re: shopping in Sheerness back then
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 19:01:05 »
The building on the left in No.14 is, I believe, the big old building that stood on the corner of Russell Street and where I first worked in 1962. It was known then as the Great Bargain Stores and was like an early supermarket. It was a very large building but in poor state of repair and I had to cl;ean up a lot of food first thing in the morning, after attention overnight from mice and rats. It was later demolished and the first Tesco store built on the site. By coincidence, one of the girls that I worked with in the old GBS still works in Tescos today.

Lofty

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 17:26:54 »
My dad worked for Peek Freans for thirty years, 1919 t0 1949 painting these vehicles the free hand writen name became their Trade Mark.
I suspect that the van belonged to a hire company or the Sheerness Economic Co-op.
Interesting to see the large tins that were used to serve direct from the tin.
Dad brought home bags bought for 1/-,  bags of broken biscuits, most were not even broken.
He also brought home Newbury Fruits those jellies with a liquid center, made by Meltis Fruits, that belonged to them.
Dad used to get to Bermondey on his little Coventry Eagle Motor Cycle.

busyglen

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 15:39:45 »
Only just had the time to have a good look at the photos and was delighted to see TH Lane & Sons (Decorators) in photo 12 next to the Post Office.  I worked there from age 16 for 10 years until Mr Reginald Lane died.  It originally belonged to his father Thomas Lane, who actually lived there.  It was three storeys high (still is) :) and had some marvellous coloured windows inside.  It was mostly a `man's' domain and both my sister (who worked there before me) and I, had to use the toilet in the old bathroom.  The bath was ornate, and the toilet was enclosed with coloured glass, and stood on a pedestal. The bowl of the toilet, and the hand basin, was decorated with leaves and swirls.  So `posh'.

I occasionally had to go up to the second floor which was used for storage, and I was always nervous as the stairs felt rickety and the handrail wobbled!  Once I dreamt that I went to the top floor, and the floor collapsed down through the first floor to the bottom like a pack of cards!

Happy days!

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 22:54:10 »
What a superb set of photos.  So much character in High Streets of yesteryear - how have we let them get so devasted?

tellyman

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 20:28:33 »
Hi in photo 15, the garage , in 1960, belonged to Sheerness Coop. There was one petrol pump, just out of view, with workshops at the rear. The shop was actually the Coop hardware and electrical dept. When I worked there in the TV workshop, Cyril Turner was the man responsible form the pump ! Charlie Chatten was the manager of the shop.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:44 »
Conan, pic. 4 shows May & Sayers. There used to be a Gents Outfitters in Sittingbourne with the same name, but I had no idea there was a branch in Sheerness. They must have closed down approximately in the 50s. My wife had an elderly relative who worked there as a lad, probably in the 40s. He would have been very interested in your photo but, sadly he passed away on the day of your post. He said that Mr. May was in charge who I can also remember.

Minsterboy

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:40:06 »
The sweet shop in No.9 was also a Pet shop for many years as I remember.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 16:02:26 »
Pic 8 re the T? C Record sign: From Kellys 1913 again, Marine Store Dealers - John Charles Record, 18 Rose Street, Sheerness-on-Sea.
According to 1911 Census he had a son called Thomas and described his occupation as "Builders and Marine store dealer".

It wouldn't explain such a varied assortment of signage though.  To me it look like the signs have been used to hold that building together!

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 15:23:08 »
Dating the motor lorry...
Peek Freans started in 1857 Drummond Road, Bermondsey,SE London..(next to My old School it was still there in the 70's)..
I hate Custard Creams to this day because the whole area smelt of them :(

I would say about 1900?

LX 7713 registration may help
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 13:10:56 »
picture 3 must be pre 1903 as there is no tram system showing....

Can't find any refernces to petrol lorries being produced earlier than 1902, seems unlikley that Peek would have jumped in at the beginning so could the photo be after the trams?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:56 »
Thanks for all your replies guys.Colin picture 3 must be pre 1903 as there is no tram system showing.Scoop the first job[apart from my paper round]was at the international working Saturdays whilst still at school,was on the fresh fish counter and I used to smell of fish all the time.........
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:39:35 »
Photo 8, obviously a builder or similar trade from the adverts so how about Record the Builders in Record Gdns which was an alley off the High St a couple of doors down from Albion Place and at 141 High St Miletown. Parsons guide 1902

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 23:35:39 »
A possible for Pic 7 from Kellys 1913 -  Fruiterers & Greengrocers - Knowles William, 87 & 89 High St, Sheerness-on-sea.
The for sale board - Rule & Rule 37 Broadway Sheerness.
The Liptons store http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5298.15

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 23:01:41 »
That's my old school at the far right in the 12th photo, but a bit before my time (1938)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 22:30:35 »
Conan, the date of the third photo has to be no earlier than 1900 or 1901.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines