News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Church  (Read 14333 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Re: Chatham Dockyard Church
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 20:21:24 »
Beneath the church.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 20:21:34 »
I love this :)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:14 »
A postcard of the Church c1905

cliveh

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 11:35:11 »
I have just remembered where the HMD Sheerness records are in my web page
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~penney/hm%20dockyard%20church/main%20page.htm
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 22:41:00 »
I  have a copy of these  b.d.m's  on my web site or go to     LINKS>MEMBERS WEB SITES at the top of page one on this forum for web site
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

grevillea

Re: Sheerness Dockyard Church
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:31 »
Were the Registers for Baptisms and so on also moved with memorials from Old Dockyard Church Sheerness to Chatham Dockyard Church? Would Kent Library be the best resource for 1780 to 1805?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 22:38:13 »

kevin payne

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 22:17:48 »
When I worked at the dockyard for a second time, I found the key to the so called crypt, well it's just earth below, I've also heard that it was never truly consecrated! A big fella like a bouncer had seen the ghost of an old man sitting in the pews, so it was given to me to close it at night! I never experienced anything, and in later times it was used as the house of commons for the film "amazing grace", where I played the part of a lord on the side of William Wilberforce, they totally transformed it, but no ghosts appeared!.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 21:20:39 »

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 15:10:02 »
Hi man of kent,i remember him well,as my busiess studies teacher at highfields,i left school in 1975.
I do have a nice 45 minute recording of him on the organ.
If you want a free copy, just PM me.

Derek
Derek Brice

kevin payne

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 15:01:13 »
Hi man of kent, I remember him well as my business studies teacher at Highfields, I left school in 1975.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 21:24:08 »
I refer to the church just inside the main gate.
Does anyone remember Tom Stocksly, who was choirmaster and organist there for many years?
He was my music teacher for 4 years at Highfield secondary school, and I kept in regular contact with him until he died a couple of years ago in his home town of Stirling in Scotland.
Derek Brice
Derek Brice

merc

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 16:37:04 »
I've just read that 17 memorials from the old Naval dockyard church at Sheerness were moved to Chatham dockyard church in 1966.

The oldest one dates from 1869,in memory of the daughter of the dockyard cashier of that time. Three memorials are to Royal Marines killed in action in Sudan and Khartoum. Another one records loss at Sea in 1887 of H.M.S. Wasp and lists its entire crew.
There are memorials to local based ships (Sheerness) such as H.M.S. Thistle and Barracouta,which were lost at sea.
There's also tributes to Naval officers who held senior posts in the dockyard.

I wonder if they're all still there...

Swamp Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 20:07:24 »
Thanks Bromptonboy. I can appreciate that some items might have a greater historical significance to the nation and perhaps be in the War Museum or at Portsmouth but some of it is important local history and should have remained in local hands. Words like plunder and looting come to mind. Oh, was that out loud?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:48:09 »
When the navy were leaving Chatham nearly everything of any historic importance went with them with the exception of what the Dockyard Historical Society had managed to beg, steal or borrow! Loads of stuff disappeared from the Church including the bone model, the Royal Colours, and the HMS Vindictive Battle Ensign from Zebrugge and also the one off HMS London that was flown during the Yangste incident. Some musuems and naval establsihments were actually circling like vultures to pick-off items that they had had their eyes on for years! Loads went missing! There were even French cannon balls embedded in timbers taken from Victory and Temeraire when they were repaired in Chatham following Trafalgar!

On visiting various naval establishments around the country I often see bits and pieces that have a Chatham heritage to them. I am sure quite a bit must languish in the Trophy Stores at Portsmouth. It would be great to get some of them back in Chatham, it's just a matter of who has the time to dedicate to searching it all out?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines