News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Building Society  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Chatham Building Society
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 18:54:40 »
Leofwine's excerpt mentions the High Street meeting - it certainly couldn't have been on the High Street in Liverpool, which is a tiny access road alongside the Town Hall, but the High Street in Wavertree is not too far from Chatham Place, so perhaps the meeting was held there. I hope that's of some interest, or at least clears up a mystery!

The High Street in question is Chatham High Street in Kent. As the emboldened headlines points out it is from the Chatham section of the Kentish Gazette (they had similar sections for other Kent towns and villages.)  In the context of the paper it is clearly local, and as has been mentioned, founded in 1847, 15 years before the date Steve Elms gives. Maybe there was more than one society of that name in the 19th century?  Or it started in Chatham but maybe moved or opened a branch in Liverpool in 1862.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 20:58:21 »
They tell me they have huge interests in India now, Well !, money is made round to go round.
redge

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 15:02:35 »
I think Steve Elms is getting muddled, he states  "It was founded in Liverpool in 1862 " but Leofwines posting gives a meeting date of 1860 and that being the 13th year so founded in 1847  His Liverpool references date to 1969 in the London Gazette. Why Principality BS ? Because it is in/for the Principality of Wales

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 14:00:44 »
Thank you for adding the information  :)

Steve Elms

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 13:59:05 »
I hope you don't mind my joining in, I stumbled across your page by accident during research into the Welsh in Liverpool. From what I have gathered, the Chatham Building Society hasn't much to do with Kent at all, other than our borrowing the name! It was founded in Liverpool in 1862 in response to the mass emigration from Wales into Merseyside, and the resultant boom in housing constructed by Welsh builders here. Whether or not the mutuality had some additional appeal on religious or cultural grounds, I'm not sure, but the Society's launch was promoted with what is believed to be the first bilingual prospectus issued by a financial institution. The Society was taken over by the Principality Building Society in, I think, 1985, and now has no branches on Merseyside, nor indeed outside Wales. It's not too clear where the name was derived from, but the largest Welsh Methodist Chapel in the city was on Chatham Place, now a University building, so that possibly has some connection. Leofwine's excerpt mentions the High Street meeting - it certainly couldn't have been on the High Street in Liverpool, which is a tiny access road alongside the Town Hall, but the High Street in Wavertree is not too far from Chatham Place, so perhaps the meeting was held there. I hope that's of some interest, or at least clears up a mystery!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 22:42:39 »
The Kent Reliance  was formed in 1986 by combining the Chatham Reliance (established 1898), Dover District (established 1861), Herne Bay (established 1888) and Kent & Canterbury (established 1847). But I don't know if the Chatham Reliance BS was formed from the Chatham BS.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Chatham Building Society
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 22:35:23 »
I'm not sure exactly where this one should go as it is neither Leisure nor Industry per se, so I'm dumping it in general until a moderator figures out where it belongs!  (Do we have a 'business and banking' section yet?)

I wonder if this is what went on to become the Kent Reliance?

Kentish Gazette - Tuesday 18 September 1860

CHATHAM.
CHATHAM BUILDING SOCIETY.  The annual public meeting of the shareholders in this promising society was held at the society's offices, High-street, a few days ago, Mr. Couchman in the chair. The report, which was read by Mr. C. Etherington, the secretary, stated that during the past year 25 50 shares had been taken up, making a total of 349 invested and purchased shares now held by members of the society. During the past year the sum of 997 8s. 2d. had been paid to members on withdrawal. After a careful review of the assets and liabilities of the society the directors had recommended that a division of the profits be made among the members, which would this year be at the rate of 7 per cent. on the sum subscribed. During the thirteen years the society has been existence, it has enabled its members to purchase 130 houses, the society advancing for that purpose upwards of 14,000. At tbe present time there are 104 houses the possession of the members, on which the society had advanced the purchase money, which is now being paid off by monthly subscriptions. The balance-sheet of the society showed that the sum of 2,978 had been received from the members during the year, and after the various items of expenditure had been enumerated, the profits realised amounted to 672, leaving balance of 395 at the bankers. The report was unanimously adopted, and the nine directors for the year re-elected, a vote of thanks to the auditors terminating the proceedings.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines