News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GPO van  (Read 15633 times)

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
Re: GPO van
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 03:56:58 »
Hi Conan, Challock Goose Fair has a restored GPO Telephone Van, and One of our old GPO Telegram bikes.

They are there every year, well worth a visit.Around the 11th of September. A lot of old cars and vans.

Greyuncle

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22:16 »
Ah yes, that's where we saw it  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 22:24:01 »
I'm sure it's the one we saw, but it wasn't the 4Os weekend as we didn't go to that. Lovely restoration on it though.

i think it's been shown at many Kent shows.  The photo I've put up says Detling so it was possibly a show at the County Showground.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 21:51:58 »
I'm sure it's the one we saw, but it wasn't the 4Os weekend as we didn't go to that. Lovely restoration on it though.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 20:36:01 »
Found it! - This is the one from Deal..... - Number plate is close to your Dad's one too.

This was a superb exhibit, a 1945 Morris GPO Van owned by C Carter of Deal.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 20:30:47 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 20:24:21 »
Another one from the family vaults

note the slippers
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 20:23:16 »
Cheers for that JohnWalker any chance of a picture, I'm sure dad would like to see it

Sorry - don't have a picture but it was displayed at the last 'Salute to the 40s' weekend at Chatham Dockyard, Sept 2011.  Might be a picture somewhere.  Next time I'm in Deal I'll see if i can find out some more.  Apologies in advance if it doesn't turn out to be the same model but it's how I remember it - trouble is - at 65 yer tends to get a bit muddled at times - well in fact - most of the time.  :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 20:19:22 »
Cheers for that JohnWalker any chance of a picture, I'm sure dad would like to see it

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 20:18:24 »
If the guy in Deal takes it to different shows, I've seen it , can't remember where now but it brought back some good old memories of seeing vans like that when I was young  :)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 20:11:04 »
A guy in Deal has a fully restored ex-GPO van - I seem to recall it being the same as this one but without the water effect  :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
GPO van
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 20:03:36 »
A picture of my dads GPO van stuck in the 1953 floods somewhere on the Isle of Sheppey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines