News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The parlour caf'e Rochester.mods / rockers  (Read 13251 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: The parlour caf'e Rochester.mods / rockers
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 14:14:56 »
Where was/is the Parlour? I remember a similar place approximately halfway between Chatham and Rochester which I think was on an elevated part of the pavement on the left hand side. This was in the days when `Espresso` was frothy coffee from a large chromium plated machine and served in `glass`cups and mugs in a stainless steel holders - late 50`s.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 22:45:28 »

Great stuff Smiler ..I bet those were interesting days  I had an old fruit machine once  a" Mills black beauty, "

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 11:08:38 »

I remember  Doug Harris  owned a smashing car , lived in Snodhurst ave , big house ............sorry Kyn I digress.
Blue E Type Jag 1st one in the Medway Towns. Partneress worked there in 1959 and says at one time Doug opened up the cellar the door being on the right hand side of the fruit machines at the back for the youngsters to use and play music after a while one or two abused it by cutting the seats and he closed it. He was a very nice man to work for and tried to do a lot for his customers.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 20:30:26 »

I remember  Doug Harris  owned a smashing car , lived in Snodhurst ave , big house ............sorry Kyn I digress.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 20:16:21 »
A guy called Doug Harris (Medway Automatic's fame) owned the Parlour, hence the pinballs and juke boxes.
redge

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 20:15:17 »

Or, it could have been the CASA VANTANA near the castle, left side ..that was seedy dive.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 20:04:37 »
Have to agree with Ajemp on the dance floor, there was never any sign of it when I went there regularly, just a tiny area round the jukebox where we used to try and dance  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 19:57:57 »

Not sure that there was a dance  floor, could that have been ......."..The eleven steps"  on the other side  of the road opposite Hammond hill?

kevin payne

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 14:20:08 »
my mum and her older brother used the parlour in the late 1950's,they said it was great,some kind of dance floor in the basement.

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 13:06:27 »
Loved the Parlour, full of skins in my day but really went there to play pinball in the late 60's early 70's. And meet girls! Favourite pinball machines were Touchdown and Buckaroo, sadly I was as bad at pinball as meeting girls... I do recall that every now and then a bunch of bikers would turn up outside and rev their engines but don't ever recall any real trouble.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:56:47 »
 :) :) spooning the sugar off , yummy.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:16 »

HI Lyn L  there's nothing better than having the best of both worlds  scooter/ motor bike good stuff! Iwas a motorcyclist not a rocker, and yes enjoyed the parlour  coffee  [MILKY] then spread the brown suger  on the froth then spooned it off, come on we all did it.........nice times.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:20:34 »
Hands up, I was a mod using the Parlour early 60s. One pal had a Lambretta which was his main 'thing' but did have a motorbike as well. One day the pair of us all kitted out in leather blah blah , turned up and got a very chilly reception until we took our helmets off, then got a cheer  :) Rochester_bred will remember the stairs up to the loo ! I had a very red face when I tripped up them with the place full of people, I escaped out the side door Ha Ha. Great memories from my time there.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:54:56 »
I used to use the Parlour in the late 60s and 70s I was a Smoothie back then which was a sort of nicer version of the skinheads or suedeheads.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
The parlour caf'e Rochester.mods / rockers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 22:15:10 »

During the sixties  the motor cycle  boys  would gather at the pie stall near Chatham  Station ,the scooter boys [mods?]  would use the Parlour Rochester  which [if any] were you ?  dare you admit it.......

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines