News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Extraordinary sleepwalking incident at Chatham Barracks - 1845  (Read 1679 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Extraordinary sleepwalking incident at Chatham Barracks - 1845
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:16:56 »
Thursday, October 16, 1845

On Sunday night a most extraodinary occurance happened at Chatham Barracks. After the eight o'clock tat-too the soldiers retired to rest, and shortly after nine o'clock, a soldier, by the name of Private Peter Slight of the 2d Queen's, was observed to go out into the passage, and as he did not return, information was given to a sergeant-major of the 60th Rifles, together with Serjeant Beard and Corporal McKay, of the 2d Queen's, commenced an immediate search, and on their inquiry of the sentinels at different posts, they ascertained that a man in his shirt was seen to enter one of the places of convenience for the troops at the rear of the barracks. A lantern was procured and let down, but they could see no one, though they heard a low noise in the drain. Nothing was heard of the missing soldier until half-past eleven the same night, when he was brought into the barracks by an escort of the Royal Marines, without a bit of clothing on. The poor fellow had been picked up in the Royal Marine Barracks, across the road, where he was found by the escort. On inquiry it turned out that the soldier must have gone down the privy, and had proceeded along the drain that leads into the River Medway. He was discovered by Private Benjamin Brown, in a privy at the rear of the Marine Barracks. On hearing someone below, Private Brown reported to the Guard-House, where an escort was formed. On their arrival at the privy they found the poor fellow lying on the ground strugling in a fit, a short distance from the privy. He must have got out of the hole himself, and walked a short distance before walking into one of the posts used for drying clothes. The distance the man must have gone underground is 500 to 600 feet. On his return back at Chatham Barracks he was immediatly taken to the detachment hospital. It is believed the man had been sleepwalking, as he has risen from his bed and walked in his sleep on three other occasions.

From The Morning Post.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines