News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Convalescent Home Swanley  (Read 7646 times)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
Re: Convalescent Home Swanley
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 18:20:43 »
Thanks for the information Exatra.  My aunt would have been there in the early 1930's.  She recalls how homesick she was whilst there ( it would seem that visiting was very restricted - parents for a short period once a week only.)  She recalls that bedtime was 7 pm and they had to have a sleep every afternoon.

exakta

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 19:53:20 »
Hello Ann, I was at White Oak Hospital, 14 yrs of age, mid 1949 and left there towards the end of 1950.  The hospital consisted of two divisions. One was for those who had eye problems and the one I was in was for those who were considered not to have general good health. We lived in similar cottages to the others but were segregated but we would now and again converse with them through the metal rail fencing that separated us. Our half had a school onsite but the aim was to achieve a standard of fitness rather than education.  A Mr. nd Mrs. Outrim were in charge of our section.

I was sent there as the result of the visiting Doctor and Nurse visiting schools in the East End of London asking those they considered not too healthy if they would like to go to Convalescence.
As my home life was none too brilliant I looked upon it as a gift.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
Re: Convalescent Home Swanley completed
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:29:13 »
Thanks for links.Chatham_Girl85 I looked up your link, but it is of  'memories of former pupils of the Swanley Home for Little Boys' so unfortunately not relevant, but thanks anyway.
Bobdonk, excellent site with photos.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:42:58 »
There are a few old phptos on the Workhouse website

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/MAB-WhiteOak/

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 20:47:59 »
Hi Ann..

My link I posted was to a book in Strood Library, called The Swanley Homes Remembered: Memories of Former Pupils.. I have not taken this book from the library so I do not know wether it has pictures in but if you are a member of Medway Libraries then may I suggest you lend it and have a look through. :)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 19:04:01 »
Just been speaking to elderly aunt to say I hadn't had any luck, and only found the White Oak Hospital but it couldnt be that because it was for children with eye diseases.  'Oh yes' she said,!!!' I was referred there by Moorfield hospital because I kept getting ulcers under my eyelids. I thought you knew.'  Shows the need to check, and double check especially with elderly relatives.  Still hoping for a photo, or maybe someone knows of a book about old Swanley.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 19:23:28 »
I understand that the White Oak Hospital was for children from London with eye conditions.  My aunt suffered really badly with anemia, and has never had eye problems (still doesn't need glasses in her 80's) but thanks for both suggestions. 

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 19:07:51 »
There was a White Oak Hospital, London Road, Swanley  also one called Kettlewell and one called Parkwood.

http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/alphabeticallist.html

Bob

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 18:47:05 »
I found this book on the Medway Library catalogue. I see there is a copy available to lend at Strood Library. If you are a member of the library you could always ask to reserve it and they will send it to your local library.. Saves you travelling to Strood if you don't live local...

Hope this might help :)

https://medway.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/OPAC/BIBENQ/279395935/32140924,4

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
Convalescent Home Swanley
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:14 »
Am trying to find out about a childrens convalescent home in Swanley.  An elderly aunt was there in the 1930's and thinks it may have been called White.....something, possible Whitecroft.  She also thinks it may have been where the council offices are now.  Any information welcome please, ideally a photo to send to her (guess that may be a bit too much to ask!)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines