News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Memorial Monument  (Read 984 times)

Offline 7DayRover

• Appreciation 2
Re: This Memorial Monument
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 10:22:27 »
Thank you all here, and for the replies and the answer and detailed information to identify the subject, as Hythe war memorial, shown in my late uncle's old photo. I'm very sad to have read that this memorial has at some time been interfered with and vandalised.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 16:41:50 »
A list of names with brief biographical details can be found on these web sites Kent Fallen & Roll of Honour

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 08:13:46 »
It would appear to be the Hythe War Memorial, which is a listed structure/building. The official text for its listing is

Hythe war memorial was unveiled on 16 July 1921 by Earl Beauchamp. Dedicated to the men of Hythe who fought and died in the First World War, the names of those who fell in the Second World War, and in subsequent conflicts, have since been added.

The memorial is the work of noted sculptor Gilbert Bayes (1872-1953). Bayes studied at Finsbury Technical College, and then at the Royal Academy Schools. His early work was diverse in its range; he was committed to the ideals of the Arts and Crafts Movement, believing the artist’s role was to serve the community. He came to national prominence as a sculptor through his war memorials work, showing a tendency towards stylised art deco forms. The use of figurative bas-relief carvings on pillars and plinths is a repeating motif in his work, found at Todmorden (West Yorkshire) and Broadstone (Dorset) war memorials (both listed Grade II), as well as at Hythe. His work also appears on a number of listed buildings, such as Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London (listed Grade II*), and the former Saville Theatre, Shaftsbury Avenue (listed Grade II), which features Bayes remarkable 129 foot frieze depicting drama through the ages. Bayes served as President of the Royal Society of Sculptors from 1939-1944. .

The memorial stands in a small garden of remembrance beside the Grand Military Canal.

It takes the form of a white marble pillar, square in section, the faces carved with a bas-relief frieze of twelve servicemen from the different forces and ranks. The corners of the pillar are rounded and carved with laurel garlands. The pillar is capped with a marble orb, with a stylised depiction of the sea, laid in blue mosaic, and carved fish. On the orb stands a bronze winged figure of Victory holding aloft a bronze model of a medieval Cinque Ports ship.

The monument stands on a square marble base in the centre of what was a shallow circular pool, now planted as a bed. Around the bed is a wide stone pavement. Bronze lion-head spouts were once mounted on the base of the monument, presumably to act as a fountain, but the spouts have now been lost. Behind, is a low, curved, stone wall, with the inscription: THESE DIED THAT WE MAY LIVE, and below are mounted ceramic panels bearing the names of the 154 fallen of World War I. The wall originally terminated with a pier at either end. These piers now bear plaques to those who fell in subsequent conflicts, including 40 who fell in World War II, and the wall has been extended to either side, following the curve of the original section before straightening out to form short wings, which terminate with a second set of piers.

Don't know if this helps at all?

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 21:50:30 »
Could there be a family name on there?  I'm down in Hythe tomorrow so could check.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 17:17:08 »
It looks like the War Memorial by the canal in Hythe.  (Off Prospect Road)

Photo copyright  Francis Frith

Offline 7DayRover

• Appreciation 2
This Memorial Monument
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 16:43:49 »
This somewhat off focus/jogged photo, was taken sometime between 1922 and early 1930's. I only have the negative, which I've scanned, and I ask if anyone here can identify the location and the subject in view.

The picture appears to be of a small monument, ornate memorial, possibly in a war cemetary location in Kent? I am stuck for any clue about it.

It is part of a collection of over 500 photo's and film negatives that belonged to my late uncle whose family was living at Great Culands farm, Burham in that era. He had served in the British Army in Ireland 1924-26 and then the Punjab and the Northwest frontier province India from 1926 to 1931. He lived the rest of his life in the villages Burham and then Wouldham.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines