News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clock tower in Swanley - moved to...?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
Re: Clock tower in Swanley - moved to...?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 14:45:59 »
From Dr Still, the curator at Dartford Museum:

"Dear Jake,

"As you suggest, White Oak Hospital became the headquarters of Dartford Rural District Council in 1958. Images of the hospital (see http://www.workhouses.org.uk/MAB-WhiteOak/) and even one taken at the DRDC opening (in the Local Studies Collection of Dartford Library) show that there was a tower but that the openings were hollow with a central shaft running up the centre. By 1966, however, another photo (also in Dartford Library) shows that a clock face had been inserted, at least on the front of the tower and possibly on each of the four sides. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the date of demolition of the hospital or whether the tower was preserved. Have you tried the Local Studies department of Swanley Library?

"Yours sincerely"

I'll contact the local studies department at Swanley Library in due course.
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 20:54:27 »
I strongly suspect the hospital in question to be White Oak Hospital, which was constructed in 1897 on land adjoining London Road. It closed in 1959. A historical photograph clearly shows a clock tower.

Jaef, can you remember whereabouts in Swanley the building was or the name of the hamlet itself?
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 21:41:54 »
Confused.

Is the building there but the clock gone?

Are you asking if anyone knows where the clock went?

What is the history of the clock?

Please enlighten.

Jaef

Clock tower in Swanley - moved to...?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 20:03:54 »
When I came to Swanley in the mid-1960s a clock tower existed on a Dartford Rural District Council building. The building was one of the former hospital buildings built in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

The clock tower disappeared when the town centre of Swanley redevelopment occurred in 1970s.

Subsequently, I saw a similar, if not the same clock tower on a new building in a hamlet near Meopham or Harvel.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines