News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: King James I and King of Denmark's Visit to Chatham, 1606  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
King James I and King of Denmark's Visit to Chatham, 1606
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 23:28:47 »
Kentish Gazette - Tuesday 26 February 1861

CHATHAM.
CHATHAM, A.D., 1606. All our readers know that James the First married the sister of Christianus, then King of Denmark. That monarch visited this country to attend "the churching of the Queene," his sister, which was solemnized at Greenewich" the third of August. "On Sunday, the 10th of August, both the Kings," writes old Stow, "the Queene, Prince Henry, with all their counsellors, chiefe officers, and attendants, were most sumptously feasted at Chatham, in the Elizabeth Ionas, which gallant ship was woundrously adorned with cloth of gold, and in the halfe deck a charye of estat. After dinner they went from that ship to the White Beare, upon a bridge, about twelve score yards long, made of firre masts, rayled in on either side, which floted upon the water, and was so broad as foure might easilie walke together. At the middle of this bridge was a great hoye, which they called the kitchen, wherein the diet for that day was dressed; and when the Kings and the rest were gone past the Windmill-hills, then the gallies, ships, and the castle discharged their ordnance to the number of almost twelve hundred shot." The next part of the Arhaeological Mine, or Dunkin's History of Kent Magazine, will contain a full account of the proceedings in Kent during the visit of Christianus to England.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines