News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mote Park Maidstone  (Read 18281 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Mote Park Maidstone
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 18:34:33 »
The wall with holes in was built for the Whatman  family to shield the train noise, there is a small "temple" overlooking the lake -domed roof on pillars. It's oin the South side and is shown as a circle on OS maps and the shadow is visble on sat photos. I think it was built to commemerate some event not as a folly

Correct - the memorial (constantly being vandalised) was raised to commemorate a troop review by Lord Romney who lived at Mote House in 1801.

link here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3795.0

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:48 »
The Mote house I mentioned in my previous post was a Cheshire/Ryder home but
had been derelict for some years. When I last walked round it more than a year ago, it
was being rebuilt as part of the development I mentioned.
mmitch.

seafordpete

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:13:16 »
The wall with holes in was built for the Whatman  family to shield the train noise, there is a small "temple" overlooking the lake -domed roof on pillars. It's oin the South side and is shown as a circle on OS maps and the shadow is visble on sat photos. I think it was built to commemerate some event not as a folly

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:18 »
If I remember right isn't there some kind of round memorial there.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:57:35 »
Thankyou!I've found it on GE and see there's a larger lake there than i realised.Anyone know if that high brick wall is still next to the railway line?I think it had round "windows" in it and i read somewhere about it being built to protect the privacy of whoever was living in the park at that time.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 00:01:43 »
It was certainly a Cheshire Home and still has the signage over the north doorway.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 23:54:37 »
Didn't part of Mote Park become a Sue Ryder Home for the disabled, Sue Ryder being the wife of Leonard Cheshire, the famous WW2 bomber pilot?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 21:39:43 »
Yes that is Mote Park. It's about 500 acres. There is a Mote house which was a derelict building which has now been developed with a few houses in its grounds. There are lakes too. The River Len flows through it on its way to Lenham.
mmitch.

The house is still empty and surrounded by boarding although work has commenced on restoring the stable block.

The Len runs through the park and lake on its way to join the Medway just below the Archbishops Palace in Maidstone having travelled from Lenham and via Leeds Castle.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:41 »
Yes that is Mote Park. It's about 500 acres. There is a Mote house which was a derelict building which has now been developed with a few houses in its grounds. There are lakes too. The River Len flows through it on its way to Lenham.
mmitch.

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:04 »
Kent County Show was held there until the 1960s when it moved to Detling. There was an area permanantly fenced off for it is  known as "The Enclosure" . This was also used by Maidstone Grammar for rugby and the first week of the new school year saw kids in every games lesson, in extended lines, searching the grass for bottle tops and glass both of which abounded - never found any coins though.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:57 »
Was this park where a high brick wall was situated next to the railway line between Bearstead and Maidstone East stations?I didn't notice the wall on our last trip to Maidstone though.Very nice looking grounds and stream there too.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Mote Park Maidstone
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 17:03:50 »
April 1930   The beautiful and historic Mote Park, which was bought by Maidstone Corporation from Lord Bearsted for 50,000 last year, will be available for public recreation for the entire summer and for many more years to come.
   For the inhabitants of Maidstone, who have always thirsted for more outdoor facilities,the availability of this large area of open fields with its great lake makes a welcome improvement to their quality of life. They can now play tennis and golf, fish or enjoy boating and, as an extra bonus,a running track is being laid out.
   The Kent Cricket Club ground which is situated in Mote Park was not included in the offer. It was Lord Bearsted's intention to safeguard the ground in the interest of cricket and it is his desire that county matches should continue to be played there annually.
   In an extra offer of generosity Lord Bearsted has given the Corporation 10,000 towards the expense of converting Mote House into a convalescent home.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines