News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Park near Rainham  (Read 4475 times)

torpointblue

Re: Park near Rainham
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 13:00:01 »
Sounds like the Wakely Road to me . Like a lot of plans in that Era I doubt it was completed as was originally thought.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:58 »
The houses around Cozenton Park are post war, this park is likely to be surrounded by Victorian terraces.

N0SEY

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:52:45 »
During the mid 50s there were two disused chalk quarries in Bloorís lane, Cozenton  Park
is roughly between the two. One quarry had factory units built in it during the 60s and the other
now has fairly recent Kingdom hall built there. As a child in the 50s I can only remember cherry
orchards between as Leofwine says

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 00:33:27 »
looking at the old OS maps the area of Cozenton Park is shown as orchards and a disused quarry right up to the 1960-2 map. The 1966 map shows the park there, so I think that rules it out as being the one mentioned in 1906.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 22:54:43 »
I was thinking that is where it was liekly to be.  Although it could be the one next to the train track further in Rainham.

merc

Park near Rainham
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 22:43:34 »
Monday, April 23, 1906

The Garden City Movement- A project is on foot to form a garden city in the neighbourhood of Chatham and Gillingham. The British Garden Cities Company (Limited) have aquired a site of 365 acres of land about three miles from Chatham, and in close proximity to Rainham, which it is proposed to develop. At the invitation of Sir Robert Wilmot (Chairman) and the directors of the company, a number of gentlemen visited the site on Saturday. The estate forms a plateau at an elevation of about 500ft. above sea level, and from it can be obtained a panoramic view of the Medway and the estuary of the Thames. The property rests on chalk, with a subsoil of gravel, so that a dry formation is assured. Gas and Water are laid on within a quarter of a mile of the site, and when the electric light railway is extended from Chatham to Rainham this summer the cars will run within 600 yards of the site. The company propose to lay out the ground in 1,200 quarter-of-an-acre plots, with parallel avenues 50ft. wide, and cross streets 40ft. wide, on each side of which trees will be planted. In the centre 20 acres will be reserved for a park, and when the estate has been sufficiently developed a racing track and football ground will also be provided.

From The Times.

Does anybody know if this was Cozenton Park please?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines