News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Football Ground  (Read 2952 times)

Richrat2000

Re: Chatham Football Ground
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 23:45:31 »
Thats the name.. "Quinn" I could not think of it. Cant remember dennis though..?
I had a five a side team called dragon5, not that we were any good.. think pat put us together to make the numbers up.
I must know you.. as im a white roader to.. I left fort luton in 76, you in 77 and i also drank in the wellington.. miss that pub.

chathamhammer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 22:58:17 »
hi richrat, chatham footie ground was our (white road boys) stamping ground !,we played 5 a side -football,tennis and in the summer -pats shed as u mentioned,who was pat quinn,had a son dennis, used it all the time! as for harry bradley, lived in whymans avenue - corner of  great south avenue,his family and our family all drank n the duke of wellington, (as i have mentioned on other threads),later on 1977 ish , old tom thompson looked after the tennis courts ,was a good bloke

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 21:09:52 »
Was this the grey coloured shed halfway between the bowls club on Palmerstone Road and the tennis courts?  On the concrete part? I remember buying ice lollies from there in the summer. It also had table and chairs on the concrete, like a patio...
 Last time I saw it it was in a derelict state. Shame really because I am sure it would have a strong trade presence had it remained as the tuck shop (what it reminded me of) I remember it as.

Richrat2000

Chatham Football Ground
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 20:23:32 »
Anyone Remember, what we called "Pats Shed" in the football grounds, you could get out goal posts, footballs, woodern stilts, ect,
or stay inside and play snooker or table tennis, board games..? I think it was taken over by a "George brunt or Blunt" when it got to much for pat.
also the park had a grounds man named "Harry Bradley" who would ban you from his park if you misbehaved.
had some great days there with all the local lads, it would be our meeting point in the 70s before we went on the Fort. (Napoleonic Fort Luton) where we had a camp.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines