News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Boutiques" in Chatham  (Read 4464 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: "Boutiques" in Chatham
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:41 »
Please start a new thread for each boutique.

Thread locked.

Offline misseda paeg

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:36:33 »
... the "American Connection" (mainly jeans n tee shirts) was down the High St - near the "Continental" shoe repair shop & Pub (?) which I think later turned into a building society ...

merc

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 22:34:32 »
Please start a new thread for each boutique.

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 20:50:46 »
It was not just the girls.There were quite a few for us boys too .To name a few,Harry Fenton,  West One. Stag [Luton rd] Bums, Silvers. I recall i spent a weeks wages in Platform 9 on a pair of gold/ yellow boots with 4 inch heels, and the same sum on a petrol blue satin jacket.Thought I looked the nuts, but could not afford to go out to the Central for a week.Great times.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 17:30:17 »
This is going to sound awful  :) I  STILL have a pair of trousers I bought in Dollies probably 1977 , and they are STILL in use , remember the 'Trevira Era' They were very trendy wide leg ones, wash beautifully and being off white that is a wonder, because wide leg trousers are being worn again , they have been dragged out every summer for the last 3 or so  :) They still fit as well as they did all those years ago but  something only women will understand , they were classed as 2 sizes LARGER then  :) size 10 , the label is still inside. I wish manufacturers would think that some ladies past the point of no return don't really look right in most size 6 clothes now . But I'm glad I had all those boutiques to choose from  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

MrsRochester

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 16:24:43 »
I'd forgotten about Dollies!  I think the boutique you're thinking of at the 'other' end of the High Street was Sandies.  I had a Saturday job there for a short time (1969ish).  What about Martin Ford? - we swapped the initials and thought it was hilarious. 

:)

YoungNan

"Boutiques" in Chatham
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 20:40:52 »

These are the ones I remember from 1970's:

Copper Penny - on the row of shops where Tesco now stands
Platform 9 - opposite Batchelor Street.... had a fire and was demolised I believe
Snobs - Originally the end of the High street (opposite where Argos is now) then moved into the Pentagon later on
Dollies - Above where H Samuels is roughly
And I am sure there was another one at the end of the High street in the vicinity of where Debenhams is now, but for the life of me cannot remember its name!

Anyone else remember any?  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines