News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham and Bredhurst dairy  (Read 9209 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Chatham and Bredhurst dairy
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 10:14:02 »
I'm sure I remember these milk bottles turning up in the free school milk deliveries. (60/63) when I was at Fairview Infant and Junior schools in Wigmore.

erfman

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 16:25:31 »
A bit late I know, but there used to be a Terry`s butchers shop in Albert Road, Chatham, next to the Co-op, early sixties, we used it often.  erfman.

Offline ianafh

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 21:09:57 »
I printed this thread out and gave it to my Mother (Hernry's daughter). She asked me to post this on her behalf. - Ian.

Charley and Harry Terry started up Terry’s Dairies originally in Pear Tree Lane Hempstead.

Their father and mother living in Claremont, Pear Tree Lane where their sister Lena lived.

Henry Terry  (yes it is the same surname ) parents owned the shop in Canterbury Street Gillingham.

Henry married Lena  1938/39  and lived in Hempstead until 1943 when they moved to Manor Farm Bredhurst.

I was 3 and my sister was born 3 years later.

Henry then was in partnership with Curly Hawkes who we have since learnt was probably Henry’s step brother.

Father and Curly both had dairies with cows at Bredhurst and Luton.

Milk rounds were done from both around their respective areas.
Terry and Hawkes ran separately from Terry’s Dairies although it was probably sold to Charley who was then running it on his own, Harry having died earlier.. His aunt Lotte in charge of bottle washing

Father ran the butchers shop during the day,  Mother bred and reared poultry for the shop especially turkeys which my sister still does to this day.

They remained in partnership until the late fifties when my father divorced my mother and moved to Gillingham with his second wife with whom he went on to have two more daughters.

Mother died in 1971.

Henry carried on the shop until he retired his second wife died and he re-married again and went to live in Tanzania for a few years but returned in poor health, bought a bungalow in Twydall Lane Gillingham and remained there until he died.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 13:38:37 »
Thanks to all of you for giving details on the company and families concerned, it helps to bring this little bit of the past alive and I shall treasure this little bottle even more so now. All the best, SB.

Chrissy

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 01:39:48 »
My family still have quite a few of the 1/2 pint and pint bottles....my grandad practiced good husbandry with all his animals and we would name every cow. He passed away in 1986.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 20:33:00 »
Here is a picture of the Half Pint bottle I have in my collection...

Chrissy

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 02:34:03 »
Frank (Curly) Hawkes was my grandfather and had a farm on The Beacon in Chatham and in Bredhurst...the Chatham farm was sold in the 60's ...he was in partnership with Henry Terry up until then.  The milk bottles had on them..."Milk from our own herds at Chatham & Bredhurst"

Offline ianafh

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 21:25:35 »
This thread attracted my attention as Henry Terry was my grandfather. I remember spending time at the butchers shop when I was a child.

After his wife died, he remarried and moved to a village a few miles from Arusha in Tanzania.

I can recall photographs of the butcher shop with game and meat hanging outside. The last place I saw the photographs was in Tanzania, along with the clock from the shop.

Ian

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 17:43:37 »
My bottle is printed in red and has a picture of a cow in a field with a shed/house? It also says.. Milk from our own herds at Chatham and Bredhurst.

carpetsteve

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 16:07:38 »
I live opposite Hawkes farm and the cows used to be in the field behind us and I often had to help getting them across the road, shame they have gone but I do not miss the smell

ramon terry

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:04:29 »
Terry & Hawkes consisted of two farms in bredhurst & a butchers shop in canterbury st. gillingham.This was a partnership between Curly Hawkes & Henry Terry  which disolved soon after the war curly keeping the farm and Henry the butchers.
Terry's Dairies was owned by Charley Terry who started selling milk at the age of 14 from 2 buckets .The milk was from his father in pear tree lane hempstead. When he married he bought a house in bredhurst rd. which became Terry's Dairies. Before selling to United Dairies around 1965, he was pasteurising and bottling over 4000 gallons a day. Supplying all medway hospitals and medway and sittingbourne schools, plus 15 retail rounds
On the bottles in red was Terry's Better Milk.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 15:37:24 »
Perhaps there was another Terry's dairy supplying school milk?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:39:30 »

Don't know anything about the company, but when I used to get my free school milk I seem to remember the bottle had Terrys printed on it in red. This was early 60's.
smiffy... This was not the same Terry.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:30 »
Henry Terry was my brother in law  not sure who he sold the dairy to he also had a very good butchers shop in Canterbury St. After his wife died he went to live in Zimbabwe for a few years then came back to Gillingham.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:29:38 »
Thanks smiffy, when I get a chance I will take a picture and put it on.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines