News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Euchre - Card Game and relevance to Dockyard Towns  (Read 13831 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: Euchre - Card Game and relevance to Dockyard Towns
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:23 »
The days of the euchre drive are gone..?  sure there was a medway league at one time.
I know other pub teams used to come to the duke of wellington (chatham) in the 80s and play
and the landlady would would bring out a good spead of sarnies and roast tats. :)
I suppose with all the pubs going the league died a death.

The good old days are gone and i cant see them coming back and yes there was always a spread of food at the dart match and pubs got known for it you used to say next week we are away to the so and so they do a great spread. On a Sunday lunchtime a lot of pubs would put peanuts biscuits and little roast spuds on the bar - happy days.   
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Richrat2000

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:23 »
The days of the euchre drive are gone..?  sure there was a medway league at one time.
I know other pub teams used to come to the duke of wellington (chatham) in the 80s and play
and the landlady would would bring out a good spead of sarnies and roast tats. :)
I suppose with all the pubs going the league died a death.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:52 »
My Grandfather taught me when I was about 10.. told me a chatham boy must play a chatham game.
Played it at school.. but most of all, in the dockyard. Strange thing is I never liked playing it with the joker as the benny,
had to be the two of spades for me.. Just wished he taught me to bluff better in three card brag.

To be honest the joker was hardly ever used unless you had a new pack for euchre only it was mostly the two of spades then you could split any old pack from seven and play. I just cant believe how its now rarely seen in pubs and even clubs when i left 30 odd years ago it was so popular mind you the silly prices now days who can just pop in for a couple of pints on the way home as we used too.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Richrat2000

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 20:49:24 »
My Grandfather taught me when I was about 10.. told me a chatham boy must play a chatham game.
Played it at school.. but most of all, in the dockyard. Strange thing is I never liked playing it with the joker as the benny,
had to be the two of spades for me.. Just wished he taught me to bluff better in three card brag.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 20:26:06 »
Also used to play it at school (Sir Joseph Williamson's).  It was a real craze when I was about 17/18 (so that would be in 1970/71 I guess)
Me too, at SJWMS, in the sixth form common room, would have been 79-80 -ish.

kevin payne

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 19:41:27 »
I learnt the game in my early teens at chatham dockyard,and it has always been known in the medway towns that it was established here by french napoleonic prisoners in the area.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 15:00:07 »
Euchre was and still is a great game when i started drinking in 1965 it was played in most pubs and when we played darts in the Truman Dart (black doubles only board) league we had darts, crib and euchre all part of the league. When i left Chatham in 1981 it was still played in clubs and some pubs i worked away and returned 18 months ago. The things i missed and always talked about was the working mans clubs always full and with cheap drinks and playing euchre i used to tell people oh it is played everywhere. As said i returned 18 months ago and what a surprise the working mens clubs (yes i rejoined) almost empty and you almost never see anyone play euchre. Its a real shame that obviously the young dont want to play euchre anymore but it is a good game and it was nice when people working here from other parts even down from London would say what on earth are you all playing. When i was on the ships i had seen it played by Canadiens but they played with the bowers only where we played with the bowers and the benny using the benny was a Kent thing only.
-Peter

101sean

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 20:28:55 »
It was regularly played by some of the members of Chatham Suburban Club who were dockyard mateys.
I was a barman there in 77 - 82ish and am still a life member

Fred the Needle

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:47:22 »
Also used to play it at school (Sir Joseph Williamson's).  It was a real craze when I was about 17/18 (so that would be in 1970/71 I guess) It took a bit of getting used to though - I often wondered what twisted mind came up with Bene, Right, Left etc, some Jacks being higher than Kings etc.

I remember once getting a lone Euchre!

I was trying to explain the rules to the current Mrs Fred about a week ago (coincidentally).  She couldn't understand it...she's Australian you know  :)

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 00:50:43 »
While on holiday in Tenerefe many years ago me and my wife found four Canadians playing euchre we "knocked on " and played the winners, they said it was quite common in their area.

We used to play it a lot at school, and I've just looked on Google and it seems popular out here on the plains :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 18:56:09 »
While on holiday in Tenerefe many years ago me and my wife found four Canadians playing euchre we "knocked on " and played the winners, they said it was quite common in their area.

Offline scintilla

• Appreciation 17
    • Kenticisms
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 12:54:11 »
I learnt to play Euchre when I was at Chatham Tech in the 70's, we played every break and lunchtimes. One of my friends who had relatives who worked at the Dockyard showed us what he called the "Dockyard Shuffle". The shuffle action was there, but the order of the cards didn't change at all. :)
When I worked in Dartford a couple of us who were from the Medway Towns taught it to our work-mates and we played at every tea-break.

busyglen

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:36:48 »
I vaguely remember some of the terminology, such as `bowers' and `bennies', although I haven't a clue what they related two!  :)

WildWeasel

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 21:17:09 »
My Dad was a massive Euchre player....Strand Social club in lower Gillingham...Every sunday and one evening a week until he was ill...I tried to learn it years ago but found it very complicated...Once heard it described as working mans Bridge.....As far as I know its unique to North Kent....At least the version he played was...
WW

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 21:00:46 »
Great Game! We played most lunchtimes at the Town Hall and Civic Centre. :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines