News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brompton Mills - Mill Road  (Read 3964 times)

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Brompton Mills - Mill Road
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 00:43:28 »

And smiffy, I still think it must be one of those 'crushing mills' (most likely the top one), because of the linseed reference.  I will somehow work it out.  Give me a decade.  I normally do.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 00:35:43 »
Looks like this might have been a bit of a "false positive". Which means there is still no real clue as to where this mill was actually located. Odd that such a large mill would leave no trace in such a short time.

If I'm feeling brave, and the place looks friendly, I might just knock on the door one day.... might be a while though.  I#m leaving the Medway mills `til last as I thought they'd be the most well done by Coles-Finch and therefore the easiest.  Wrong as always!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 00:28:49 »
Looks like this might have been a bit of a "false positive". Which means there is still no real clue as to where this mill was actually located. Odd that such a large mill would leave no trace in such a short time.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 22:52:13 »
It would appear that the roof is octagonal, but the building is circular. Looking at it again, do you think it's big enough for the base of a large windmill?

It would be for a small mill, but from the photo it looks larger than the other two.

It does look circular, but circular roofs normally go with circular buildings, so it might be a case of severe rendering.

If you want an example of a high mill base which is quite small in area, google Ospringe Mill, near Faversham.

I'm definitely less convinced though, I must admit.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 22:49:04 »
It would appear that the roof is octagonal, but the building is circular. Looking at it again, do you think it's big enough for the base of a large windmill?

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 22:03:33 »
I need to check some old papers!

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 22:02:00 »
The building with the circular feature is part of Higgins's Buildings marked on the plan, and looks like it is there when the mills were.

I see it now.  The circular bit doesn't appear on the plan (correction - it doesn't on 1863-5 map, but is possibly on the plan), and it concerns me that Huggins and Higgins are a letter away from being the same name.  I guess it could be coincidence.... but if Huggins/Higgins are one and the same, then the mill is likely to be on his land.  More work needed!

Online kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 21:44:16 »
The building with the circular feature is part of Higgins's Buildings marked on the plan, and looks like it is there when the mills were.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 21:39:55 »

Slightly better pic here, which doesn't tell us much more....

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/1k/466/51977150/466_GLM150111_IMG_11_0000_max_656x437.JPG

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 20:10:36 »

That's a really interesting pic smiffy, as all the mills must have been built on tall bases, as they were late built when housing was becoming a problem re: windflow.  It certainly looks the part, and you'd think Coles Finch might have seen it, but I reckon it might be worth a bang on the door.  (Probably to a confused occupier look!)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 17:32:36 »
The only place that I can see that may conceivably have a connection with this mill is the point where the line intercepts a building in Higgins Road (now 29 Wyles Street). You can't see the rear of this place from Google street view but in this capture from Google Earth there is an unusual rounded extension that is also present on the old maps. I wonder if this could possibly be part of an octagonal windmill base that has been integrated into a domestic residence?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 17:31:33 »
I agree about the possible insurance job, it all sounds a bit suspicious  :)

I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling the position of this mill with any of the indicated crushing mills. I've estimated the distance the picture was taken from as about 600 yards. This would place the photographer well within WD property but the photograph almost certainly originates from the Royal Engineers so this isn't a problem. Note that about one third of the base of the leftmost Windmill is obscured by the last house in Nile Terrace. This gives an approximate position from where the photograph was taken. The chimney is in the middle, and Huggins' mill is as far to the right of the chimney as the first mill is to the left. You can also see that it stands out between the seventh and eighth house from the left of the terrace. If you draw a line through these positions there appears to be absolutely nothing near it that corresponds to a mill building of any description, and the crushing mills are both either way to far to the north or to the south. I've included Charter Street in the map as it was also called Charter Street mill, but it looks like it wasn't actually in this road either.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 22:15:19 »

Only one mill mentioned in this area on 1840 tithe apportionment schedule, which is John Stedman's original mill. 

Coles-Finch refers to Mr Huggins taking a boat party out to watch his mill burn down, which suggests a badly executed insurance job, or some sort of planned wilful destruction!

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 21:41:32 »
kms - these are also marked on the map that kyn posted. I assumed that as there are several of them indicated on various maps none of them were actually Huggins' mill. I sometimes wonder about the dates ascribed to OS maps - a large scale one dated to 1866 doesn't show them, but a smaller scale one said to be from 1869 does!

The one I've put up was the one printed/issued in 1869, but surveyed between 1863 and 1865.  i agree the dates are confusing. 

It wasn't until the 1890s that some sort of surveyor uniformity was introduced (e.g. previous discussion re: that windmill/windpump at Street End).  I think in this case they've definitely put 'crushing mill' as in linseed, whereas externally it would have looked like a windmill.

The Stedmans left a ledger in Medway Archives which could solve many mysteries.  One day I'll get down there and photograph and transcribe it.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 20:44:45 »
kms - these are also marked on the map that kyn posted. I assumed that as there are several of them indicated on various maps none of them were actually Huggins' mill. I sometimes wonder about the dates ascribed to OS maps - a large scale one dated to 1866 doesn't show them, but a smaller scale one said to be from 1869 does!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines