News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rickards Shop, Walderslade  (Read 3441 times)

davidt

Rickards Shop, Walderslade
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 17:36:31 »
There are several references to the shops in Walderslade village on here, but I don't think anyone's mentioned Rickards grocers at the top of the hill (not strictly within the village). It was where the funeral directors is now - same building. It was handy for us as it saved a walk down (and back up) the hill into the main shopping area.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.34421,0.525851&spn=0.001173,0.002411&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.34421,0.525851&panoid=L31-J3EGD9GD9gYAGYoywA&cbp=12,105.18,,0,12.21&z=19

I have vague memories of going there as a child. The lady who helped in the shop was, I believe, called Elsie and lived in the house next door but one to the shop. I believe she kept a goat which used to stand it its hind legs and lean its front legs on the gate next to the house to watch people going by (strange what you remember from your childhood).

The other thing I remember is the mat on the floor of the shop which I think was black and had a big yellow peacock on it.

It probably closed in about 1979-80ish (I think Mrs Rickards finally decided to retire) - I know it was just about the time when I was allowed out on my own and I went there once or twice to buy sweets before it closed. I think she continued to live on the premises and it was only sold on when she died.

I think the family were pretty well established in the village as I have seen a couple of references to them elsewhere. I did some research on Walderslade years ago using the old Kelly's Directories in Chatham reference library and Mr John Rickards took over the shop in 1925, which Mrs Eliza Rickards being listed from 1928 onwards. It was opened by William Wright in 1923 and listed as Hook Road Stores while in his ownership.

I'd love to see a photo of when it was the grocers.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines