News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twydall Mission Church  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 9
Re: Twydall Mission Church
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 21:15:20 »
I forgot to say this was for Harvest festival - perhaps just before the war.

I also forgot to mention the Mission also had an organ and there was a choir.

The church's proper title was  'Saint John the Baptist Mission Church, Twydall'

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 21:07:51 »
Hope I have done this correctly

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 21:04:36 »
St Johns Mission Church, was about halfway down the little road to Sharpes Green. It was built and consecrated about 1886 (can`t remember the exact date). Outside it was constructed of corrugated iron, painted dark green which gave rise to it being called the Tin Tabernacle. It faced East west and there was a little church hall adjoining. All the inside was lined with timber, stained and varnished a Mahogany colour. Altar, rails, pews and a font (my cousins were one of the last babies to be christened in it). There were some (in my eyes) lovely Altar Cloths which were kept, wrapped in tissue in a chest of drawers at East Court Farm and it was here, hosted by my great grandparents, that the Annual Church fetes for the Mission were held. I attended the church services and Sunday School until I left the area in October 1943. It was decorated regularly for the Festivals by Grandma and my Mother with some small input from me, starting a lifelong interest in flower arranging - I even was asked to do a large arrangement for Easter in Westminster Abbey some forty years later.

I have an interior photo of the church will I will try to send in the next post. Also of the Fetes.

Offline sandi_01

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 20:01:28 »
Thanks for that numanfan...it certainly helps as I had no idea where it was. :)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 19:46:25 »
1955 Kelly's Directory shows it at Sharpes Green, which is just off of the Lower Rainham Road. It's spelt Sharps Green on maps now, I presume it's the same place?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline sandi_01

• Appreciation 19
Twydall Mission Church
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 19:35:34 »
I was reading on the internet that there used to be a Twydall Mission Church until the 1960's when it burnt down. Does anyone have any information or photos please?

Many thanks.
Sandi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines