News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cavalry Barracks, Walmer  (Read 2237 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Cavalry Barracks, Walmer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 20:37:43 »
Report of 1858

Cavalry Barracks.

These Barracks are situated close to the South Barracks, and were erected in 1794, to accommodate seventy-four men, but they are almost unoccupied at present.  The ground on which the stand is Ła. 1R. and 22P. in extent, and is of the same general character as that already described.
They are constructed of brick, on the same principle as the Hounslow and Windsor Cavalry Barracks, viz., with the barrack rooms over the stables, and with the entrance to the barrack rooms from a dark central passage which rums from one end to the other of the building, having a window at each end.  The doors in these rooms open close to the fireplaces.
The rooms have openings for ventilation in the ceilings into the space under the roof, but this arrangement is not sufficient, they require ventilation by means of shafts from the ceiling and separate inlets for air protected by perforated zinc.
The following table shows the accommodation:-

Rooms.Regulation Number of Men.Accommodation at 600 cubic feet each.Deficiency in accommodation in Men.
6544212
1651
2862
1431
10725616

The present barrack rooms are therefore sep apart by regulation for sixteen men more than they can accommodate, at 600 cubic feet per man.
There is a garret above the barrack rooms, which might be adapted for the men removed from the lower rooms, if it were properly ventilated and better lighted.  The stables also should be ventilated by means of shafts carried up through the roof, and by perforated glass placed in the windows.
The cook-house is in one of the compartments allotted to stables.  There is no oven or means of roasting meat.
There is no ablution room, but one has been authorized; baths are however not included.
The women’s wash-house has no drying stove or proper laundry.
The privies drain into cesspits underneath, from which a haft is constructed to conduct away and diffuse the effluvia into the atmosphere; the seats have flaps but no divisions of doors.  They were very offensive and require reconstruction and conversion into water latrines.
The ashpit is uncovered; it should be removed and a cart should be substituted.
There is in the enclosure, a room used temporarily as an infant school.
The guard room is not ventilated.
The Chapel School is a new building which stands on an open piece of ground; it should be enclosed by a proper fence or railing.  It appears to be ventilated, but the upper ventilators appear to be small for the cubic contents of the building.
The following are the sanitary improvements we should advise for these Barracks:-

1.   Reducing the regulation number of men a already stated.
2.   Ventilation of every barrack room and also of the guard room by a shaft from the ceiling, and by inlets for air near the ceiling.
3.   Ventilation of the stables by shafts carried from the ceiling to above the roof of the building, with perforated glass windows for admitting air.
4.   Drainage of the whole Barrack, and the substitution of a water latrine with divisions and half doors, in place of the present privy.
5.   A roasting oven to be supplied to the cook-house.
6.   Suitable ablution and bath room with one bath to be provided.
7.   A drying stove to be place din the women’s wash-house.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines