News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Vines, Rochester  (Read 3911 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

merc

  • Guest
The Vines, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:59:54 »


The public gardens, known as 'The Vines', is on the site of a medieval vineyard where monks from the nearby St. Andrew's Priory, at Rochester Cathedral, once grew grapes for their wine. The land was leased from the Dean and Chapter of Rochester Cathedral in 1879 and opened as public gardens. The diagonal avenue of plane trees was planted in 1880, but was damaged in the October 1987 great storm. It has been partially restored since.



One of the damaged trees from 1987 was sculptured into a monk statue. This has unfortunatly recently been cut down and relocated in the gardens, due to it becoming unstable, and having a colony of Stag Beetles nesting within it, making it difficult to conserve.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11178.0




 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines