News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard messenger bikes  (Read 2209 times)

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
Re: Dockyard messenger bikes
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 20:57:35 »
I think it was also to do with the blood from you grazed hands and knees.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
Re: Dockyard messenger bikes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 20:54:32 »
Known I believe as "RED DEVILS" from their colour scheme?

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
Dockyard messenger bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 20:52:50 »
In the late 60s i was a messenger in Chatham dockyard.We were issued with Royal Naval bush bikes , mine was RN123[,easy to remember].The weight was the same as a sub post office,they had rod brakes, a massive metal carrier on the front, and heavy metal wheels.I worked in the planning dept PP55 near the mast pond. Often in the mornings my bike would go AWOL,only to be found a few days later being fished out of a basin or dry dock.They were so strong you just got on it and rode it back. What i would like to know is, was the wheels of these bike designed to be the same size as the railway tracks gap. Many times you would see messengers or matlots coming to grief on the lines. I had many an off, mainly in the snow. Sometime you would see an abandoned bike just standing in the tracks.also if you crossed them at the wrong angle in the wet you would do the messenger dance and end up in a soggy heap.Has anyone got any photos of dockyard bikes please.I have lot more on my time as a dockyard messenger. really was happy days.  Lutonlad.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines