News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scott's Timber Yard, Military Road Chatham  (Read 8696 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Scott's Timber Yard, Military Road Chatham
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 13:32:37 »
It was quite a tight gateway to turn into even with a 5cwt van. It was a frequent trip from Car & Electrical garage on Maidstone Road to get a sack of saw-dust for mopping-up oil on the floor. A bag of sawdust was easy to lift even if I couldn't see where I was going when carrying it! As far as I remember we poked our head into the office to get the OK, then went into the saw mill and filled the sack ourselves.
What memories KHF brings back at times :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:39:02 »
As well as being in Railway Street, Scotts Timber Merchants is listed as being at 132a High Street, Chatham. Two entrances to the same yard.

Yes one entrance Railway Street next to the shop below the church for staff and workman with a small office for sales and orders on the left clocking in clock on the right, the high street entrance was the main management office. 
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 23:49:14 »
As well as being in Railway Street, Scotts Timber Merchants is listed as being at 132a High Street, Chatham. Two entrances to the same yard.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 22:11:22 »
Thats the place of course it was Railway Street and yes now i remember the shop then there was the old post office i left Chatham just before the fire or i would have known. Thank you for the photo and links the high open roof buildings was where the timber was kept as timber was always store in open air just a roof to keep it dry and yes a cold job in winter. Roy and Keith Scott were real characters apart from the timber yard the family also built Scott's Terrace off Dale Street Chatham an old driver who worked for them told me their father was so tight he would use 60 watt bulbs and turn them on and off as he moved around the house. Underneath the main building was a big old machine and all the fittings as all the machines were belt driven back in the even older days i remember it was always warm down there and sometimes i would go and sit down there to warm up. I was only 18 when i worked there and really my own boss so it was a great place to work and i would wonder off to get timber from the yard but really i was in the high street often at Lyons chatting up the girls. Good old days indeed
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

drunkenbaker

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 20:51:58 »
Can anyone else remember the Scott's Timber Yard, Military Road Chatham there was a small opening just below the Church and it was a large area behind all the shops and Post Office also a small walk way down to the High Street. The timber company was run by brothers Roy and Keith Scott and when i worked there in the late 60s i lived in Scott's Terrace Chatham and those houses were build by the Scotts family. They also owned their own timber yard on the river for importing timber not far away. The main machinist in my day was Dick Price i was the second machinist and did individual jobs for tradesman often having to walk to the timber yard to pick out timber them mark it so the driver could bring it over. More then once i would have to stop of in the Lyons Tea rooms for refreshments. After i left the yard and business were sold to a company if i remember rightly called Sandel Smyth and Drason or something like that from Maidstone. You could walk passed this place all day and never realise how big it was all you could see from Military Rd was the entrance and timber for sale but behind that was a yard a small workers tea hut and a machine building with two floors one 5 cutting on the top doing t & g all day and the saw doctor, below was another 5 cutter plus a band saw and and a spindle area for what i called fine work that was my job.

By pure coincidence I was looking at photos on the Medway Council site earlier and found this shot:
This shot is after it burned down in the early 80s. I am not sure of the precise date, but remember it causing havoc with getting to school by bus that morning. Incidentally it was in Railway Street. Kelly's 1972 lists it as number 12 (along with Clarence Cleaners, Clarence Laundry Receiving Office, Blacks Employment Bureau and the Chatham Post Office) 14 and 16 are not listed (presumably because Scotts was just a frontage to a much larger site behind). The photo is from July 82.

Here's a link to some pictures of it from February 82. Although it looks pretty desolate it is hard to tell if this is after the fire. Either way it looks derelict. http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/results.asp?search=scotts&searchtype=all&pg=1 I'm guessing this is just before the fire as the rooftop shot shows more rooftops than were likely to still be there after the fire!

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 18:18:37 »
Sandell Smythe & Drayson on what is now the Law courts at Maidstone, later Sandell Perkins then Travis Perkins

Thank you Sandell Smythe & Drayson that's the company i know the Scott brothers sold up and retired
-Peter

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 15:58:25 »
Sandell Smythe & Drayson on what is now the Law courts at Maidstone, later Sandell Perkins then Travis Perkins

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
Scott's Timber Yard, Military Road Chatham
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 15:12:31 »
Can anyone else remember the Scott's Timber Yard, Military Road Chatham there was a small opening just below the Church and it was a large area behind all the shops and Post Office also a small walk way down to the High Street. The timber company was run by brothers Roy and Keith Scott and when i worked there in the late 60s i lived in Scott's Terrace Chatham and those houses were build by the Scotts family. They also owned their own timber yard on the river for importing timber not far away. The main machinist in my day was Dick Price i was the second machinist and did individual jobs for tradesman often having to walk to the timber yard to pick out timber them mark it so the driver could bring it over. More then once i would have to stop of in the Lyons Tea rooms for refreshments. After i left the yard and business were sold to a company if i remember rightly called Sandel Smyth and Drason or something like that from Maidstone. You could walk passed this place all day and never realise how big it was all you could see from Military Rd was the entrance and timber for sale but behind that was a yard a small workers tea hut and a machine building with two floors one 5 cutting on the top doing t & g all day and the saw doctor, below was another 5 cutter plus a band saw and and a spindle area for what i called fine work that was my job.
-Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines