News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gillingham Technical School, Green Street  (Read 11739 times)

capman

Re: gillingham technical school, green street
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 15:07:52 »
Yes, it moved there after I left, with much better facilities.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 14:54:37 »
Is this what became Gillingham Technical High School in Pump Lane (now Rainham Mark Grammar School)?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:03 »
It was previously Gillingham Technical College. I went there from 1945 to 1950 as a motor mechanic apprentice on day-release for 1 day/week, plus evening classes. The hut behind the Post Office was the Motor Vehicle Workshop, although it couldn’t accommodate a car! In there we had Technology lectures and practical instruction on assemblies (engines, gearboxes, etc) – what was it used for when it was a Tech School? For other subjects we used the top floor of the building behind the Fire Station, with external stairs for access. I think the ground floor was a machine shop – a summer afternoon Maths lesson with the drone of machinery below and the sun shining through the skylights was a bit sleep inducing! For evening classes we used the main building and I remember one room with seating in raised tiers like a theatre.

The college moved to Horsted and became Medway College of Technology between 1951 and 1953, when the Green Street site became the Tech School, although it was still used for adult evening classes.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

capman

Gillingham Technical School, Green Street
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 23:57:02 »
Anyone remember the old GILLINGHAM TECHNICAL SCHOOL in Green Street? I went there from 1957 until 1961. I think it is now an adult education building. The building opposite used to have a siren for the fire brigade mounted on the roof and if it went off it was deafening. you could here it winding down for ages. You wouldn`t have it today (health and safety!). They must have been very short of room as we used a wooden hut behind the old Post Office and even a room in the old Odeon cinema. No wonder they moved Rainham way. I did try to see if they kept any old photos in their archives but sadly they didn`t seem to have any.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines