News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Tech/Chatham Grammar School For Boys  (Read 42562 times)

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
Re: Chatham Tech/Chatham Grammar School For Boys
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:44 »
IIRC the site next to the Institute contained the metalwork and woodwork workshops, and a canteen. Running parallel to the High Street was a further structure that we used as a cloakroom. The main entrance to this site was directly opposite Otway Street/Terrace. I remember that stacked between the workshops and the perimeter wall were dozens of old metal framed cinema seats. Any infringement within the workshops was met with banishment to this area, where you were equipped with a hacksaw and told to start sawing.  This site was separated from the Institute by an alleyway and entry to the Institute was gained by using a sidedoor within the alley.

Scrumdown

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 10:57:01 »
Thanks MikeB.

Would this be the same view now then?:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=me4&hl=en&ll=51.380038,0.534004&spn=0.000003,0.003473&sll=51.528642,-0.101599&sspn=0.678365,1.778412&hnear=Chatham+ME4,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.379296,0.533411&panoid=fDB3xrpC1Xh-GREu78qR-Q&cbp=12,206.67,,0,-21.16

If so, and looking at the pic in the first post on that board, I think I do recall the building after all, but didn't realise it was an annexe of Chatham Tech.  Would have been demolished in the late 80's perhaps???

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:25 »
I only ever remember the Holcombe site and never knew there was a part of the school at Luton Arches.  Could someone who remembers show those of us who don't know, or were too young, where it was please?  A Google Maps link perhaps???  Thanks in advance.

Scrumdown, have a look here......

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11106.msg99648#msg99648

Scrumdown

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:04 »
I only ever remember the Holcombe site and never knew there was a part of the school at Luton Arches.  Could someone who remembers show those of us who don't know, or were too young, where it was please?  A Google Maps link perhaps???  Thanks in advance.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 22:03:06 »
I think it was abandoned in 1966 or 67. I started there 1965 and remember using the workshops near the Institute. At this time the new extension to Holcombe was finished (including new purpose built workshops and library) and everything moved there.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 21:49:11 »
I went to the Tech in 1954 amongst the first intake for the school following the introduction of the 11+. This meant an additional 120+ boys and Holcombe didn't have the capacity. Chatham Tech was already well established on the old Institute Building at Luton Arches, new wood & metal workshops and dining room were being built in the adjacent site, by the bus stops. The Tech also took over the old, condemned, St. Pauls school in Jenkins Dale. Woodwork & metal workshops were still at Holcombe. It was part of the school routine to make your own way to another of the three sites at dinner time if required! Travel costs (bus fares) were NOT refunded!

In 1955, I think, the new workshops at Luton Arches were finished and we stopped using St. Pauls. The old workshops at Holcombe became the new library.

I'm afraid I cant help with the date for leaving the Luton Arches site, I was long gone!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 21:29:04 »
The building near the library was the Technical Institute. Chatham Tech buildings for wood and metalwork were nearby but I'm not sure if there was a direct connection with the Institute.

Ted H

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 20:43:19 »
I'm a bit confused [old age !]. When I went to Chatham Tech at Holcombe 1938/39 there was still another Tech School building near the Luton Arches [near the old library] which I always thought was the Senior Tech School and we at Holcombe were not directly involved with it. It seems the two were at some later stage linked. Holcombe closed as a school when war broke out and was still closed when I left the set-up at Rochester in January 1942. It seems it must have re-opened sometime after that - when? On a slightly different subject, while I was at Rochester I helped one of the teachers to sort through a lot of the paperwork which had been transferred from Holcombe. It included the diaries of the pupils who had been on exchange to the Solingen school in Germany. They all went for paper salvage !!! They would be invaluable now.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 13:49:51 »
It was still the Tech when I left in 66. We were still using the Luton Annexe, and I don't recall any new build underway at the Holcombe site.

Ted H

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 13:13:54 »
When did Chatham Tech become Chatham Grammar ? It was 'Tech when I was there pre-war.

jc101

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 10:04:57 »
I left there in 1985 too.

Scrumdown

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 08:10:13 »
You must have been at least one year ahead of me, Lutonman - I left July '70. If I remember correctly, Surman left the last year I was there, his post was filled by a Mr. Gregory.

Mr Gregory was headmaster all the time I was there and I left in 1985.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 21:27:39 »
You must have been at least one year ahead of me, Lutonman - I left July '70. If I remember correctly, Surman left the last year I was there, his post was filled by a Mr. Gregory.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 18:32:19 »
"Pop" Surman was still there when I was a pupil in the 60's. So was Bill Killen

We must have been there around the same time, I left July 69, Pop Surman retired a little later I believe. During the 60's the school at the Luton Arches moved to the new part of the school at Holcombe.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 16:39:56 »
"Pop" Surman was still there when I was a pupil in the 60's. So was Bill Killen - when marking tests you had to put a diagonal line for correct and a full stop for wrong. He was very particular about things like this and penalised you if you did not keep to his exact instructions. During classes he started talking about one subject, but then often went off on a long ramble about something else.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines