News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Swimming Baths, Rochester Esplanade  (Read 22630 times)

grantidge

Re: Swimming Baths, Rochester Esplanade
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 22:28:58 »
I too have very  happy memories of the pool.  I'd swim regularly there from when it opened for the summer in May until it closed for the winter in September.  Troy Town Juniors had weekly sessions there (Buckmore Park in the winter).  I was in the school team and a good diver as well, so didn't incur the disapproval of Ted Richards.  Still disliked him though for many reasons.

Buster Pudney is someone I remember well.  When I was a teenager we girls thought it was some kind of accolade to be swung by the arms and legs and hurled into the pool.  Buster and a friend would oblige.  Seems odd to me now.  I too recall when foolhardy Buster dived off Rochester Bridge, I believe for a bet.  He was darn lucky to survive and I believe the police had something to say too (although no offence had been committed).

Another memory concerns the Evening Post.  Every week they'd send a photographer to the pool to take a snap of a pretty girl, posing on the pool steps.  One week a friend of mine was chosen - she was a real looker with waist-length thick blonde hair.  The only problem was - she was only fourteen at the time.  Her mum and dad went ballistic!  A year or so later this friend, another friend and I went to some sort of event in a tent (!) where local businesss had displays.  The Evening Post display featured their snap of my friend - blown up to life size!  We all fell about laughing.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 03:50:11 »
Must be another Buster as the one I knew was definitely a Martin. The memories grows dim....... :) Great times had there though, even if one of my bikes wheels got nicked one afternoon. I locked the back wheel with a chain and they took the front instead. Got it back though when the cops found a bloke`s garage (Frindsbury I think) stuffed full of nicked bikes and parts.
AlanH.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:44 »
Merv, that`s who I remember, Buster Pudney, I only had to be pulled out once as someone had pushed me in the deep end and I could not swim (still can`t ) they were great days never to be forgotten.

Merv

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 00:51:44 »
A large part of my Childhood was spent right there, early sixties.
I remember the excitement at the site and smell of the fresh coat of Cream and Green Paint around March or April time, the clank click of the turnstiles.
Running upstairs with a crisp packet full of water and dropping it on someone.
A Brylcream Machine was in the Mens Toilets, and the best part was when I was able to afford a season ticket and go in time after time.
My Teacher from Troy Town was a Guard there, a Mr Richards. Buster I think was Buster Pudney and he did a dive from Rochester Bridge for some reason some time later. The memory is so strong it feels like yesterday.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 20:31:12 »
AlanH I`m sure that your friend Buster sounds like the person who used to be there often that I remember. He would have been around your age group  :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 10:06:25 »
There was friend of mine Buster Martin who was always down there with all the other regulars. I don't remember him being the lifeguard but he was a strong swimmer.
He was a Math school boy.
AlanH.

Precious

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 18:15:26 »
I remember the swimming pool, there was such a queue to get in. At times they had sessions and maybe an hour wait.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 20:05:24 »
I used to go there in the 60s and 70s ,I remember sometimes if it was crowded waiting outside as they had sessions, I think we had rubber bands which showed which large hanging baskets our clothes where in, It was a great shame when they closed it down as it always was popular with the local children ,Buster was the name of the lifeguard when I went there .
I also used to frequent the pool in the the 50's and early 60's. The lifegaurd you mentioned, may have been the P.E. teacher from Troy Town School. We pupils also attended swimming lessons there.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 19:54:19 »
Excellent  photo Numanfan, many thanks. It has brought back many memories.
1950's?
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:42 »
Excellent pic Numanfan. Thanks. I may well have been one of those kids pictured. I can well remember standing upstairs shivering with my towel wrapped around my shoulders in a forlorn attempt to keep warm!
Those were the days......
AlanH.

Sirenetta

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 15:05:16 »
Like Fred The Needle I have memories of the pool from my time at the Maths School.  I recall being asked (as a non-swimmer who never learned under his tutelage) being asked to stand in the middle of a freezing pool and launch myself towards the side by one Pussy Purle.  I can only have been 11 or 12, so 1954/5.  It was very cold water, the wind blew across the Medway Valley and I was NOT encouraged to become a swimmer by that experience!

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:16:06 »
Great photo Numanfan

Rochester-bred

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 14:38:53 »
I just remembered when I was at English Martyrs primary school on Frindsbury Hill we used Rochester swimming baths for lessons walking there once a week usually in the cold weather when the baths were not in use so much ,I never did learn how to swim.

petermilly

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:53:21 »
My mother wouldn't let me go in the water until it was over 50 degrees Fahrenheit, I used to make such a fuss. I think I'm now as wise as she was.
I used to help Mrs. Bond take the baskets on the menís side and check under the duck-boards in the changing cubicles for money. Men used to fold their trousers in those days and small change used to drop out of their pockets.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 11:18:28 »
The baths were also used by the Math School (Sir Joseph Williamson's Mathematical School to give it the Sunday name) for swimming during lesson time until the "new" school was built on the Maidstone Road.

We used to walk in crocodile from the "old" building in the High Street along to the pool, get changed, have a dip, dry off and get changed back, then walk back to school all in 45 minutes (if I recall correctly).  However we only did this in the Summer term.

Cold, but not as cold as some on here  :)

I had learned to swim at Folkstone swimming pool just before I joined the Math (self taught) so I didn't have to do the compulsory swimming lessons that the School insisted on (quite rightly) before you could use the deep end.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines