News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Lancasters  (Read 12347 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 237
Re: Lancasters
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 21:43:16 »
For anyone with an interest in the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster, I can recommend Avro Lancaster, Owner's Workshop Manual, by Haynes Publishing. IBSN 978 1 84425 463 7.
As well as a general history of the aircraft, there are chapters on the anatomy of the Lancaster and its systems, display flying, along with its maintenance, all backed up by colour photos of the cockpit and interior, undercarriage, bomb bay, engines etc of the BoBMF Lancaster. There are even four pages, with photos, of how to start the Lancaster.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 18:53:27 »
A Merlin (nowadays) is rebuilt about every 500 hours. The BBMF Lanc is allowed 100 hours a year. A few years ago an engine went in Jersey, another was flown out and fitted and just after it arrived back, another went!
Don't forget, many Lancs (and their Merlins) didn't last 100 hours during the war!
mmitch.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:57 »
I remember being told, at Biggin Hill during a walk round before the B of B show, that the Lanc had 3 Merlins and a Packard engine (merlin built under licence) and you could clearly see the difference in the exhaust stubs. This was a while ago, back in the 1990s, so it may have been changed since then.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 18:57:53 »
Retro Track and Air rebuild many of the BBMFs engines.
http://www.retrotrackandair.com/aero-engines.html
 When the Canadian Lanc needed an engine change, some of their engineers helped change the installation from the Packard Merlin to the Rolls Royce one loaned by the BBMF.
mmitch.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 12:58:50 »
Saw the 2 Lanc's flying over Holmfirth, about 800ft above me on the hillside. To add some authentic comments to the "Griffon" story, I asked my friend, S/L Keith Harris (55th F11E) who was Engineering Procurement Officer for the BoB flight in the mid 80's. He told me that when he left, they had 8 spare Merlins & 4 Griffons. Besides R.R., Packard in the USA & a company in Jersey were also licensed to o'haul Merlins, etc. (Of interest, in the recent TV film, restoring a Spitfire at Duxford, comment was made that their Merlin was o'hauled by a company in Gloucester). Fitting a Griffon into a Lancaster would entail engine bearers being modified; also making a new extended top cowling to fit 6" higher engine would not be easy (& expensive!); the Flt. Eng. would have difficulty synchronising boosts & RPM.  Altogether, not a very good idea. Dave Smith

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 18:17:28 »

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Lancaster will display with the BBMF example at these displays in August. Their tour may be extended.
Lancaster Bomber 2014 UK Tour
http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx
 mmitch.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 22:54:59 »
If I recall correctly the BBMF lanc has 3 merlins and a packard (merlin built under license )  and there is a difference in the exhaust stubs but that is all . Remember this from a commentry at Duxford about 15 years ago,

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 11:20:27 »
The CWPH Lancaster will be displaying at the Headcorn Combine Ops show in August according to posts on other forums. They are still planning what others they will do. They are giving rides for members of their support club too but these have been sold out.  :)
mmitch.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:26 »
The Battle of Britain Memorial flight has announced that it will be carrying out displays in the Summer of 2014, with the Canadian Lancaster which is to arrive in Britain on the 8th of August. [That's two Lancasters flying together, this will never happen again.] No air show dates have been announced yet.

It looks like this is the one headed to the UK:

http://www.warplane.com/vintage-aircraft-collection/aircraft-history.aspx?aircraftId=4
http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

It's the only other airworthy Lancaster in the world, although Canada has several others, which isn't surprising given how many they built.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/lancs.html

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 10:55:01 »
On several visits I have made to the BBMF hangar over the years In the line of spare Merlins were two Griffons. These were ex Shackleton ones that had been rebuilt without the contra prop gear. These were spares for the two Spitfire 19. They are the blue photo reconnaissance ones.
2 Merlins have been replaced on the Lanc this Winter as time expired.
mmitch.

John38

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 09:24:36 »
Almost getting off thread, but,

Reminds me of the RAF VC10 that went around with a Concorde Engine strapped to it (flying test-bed). Ended up bending the airframe.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:30:16 »
But what's the betting that the technicians will superimpose noises on to any film made. It was in a recent programme about somebody learning to fly a Spitfire that I learned that a Merlin actually plays 'music'!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 22:34:12 »
They all look the same. I got lucky when parked on the apron at Manston one afternoon with my truck. We were waiting for MK (no change there) when the BoB Flight came in and landed. I was last truck in the line and she parked next to me. Compared to a 747 she is tiny but next to my truck she was huge. We were shown all over her and the engineer did not deny the Griffon when I mentioned it.

Regardless of what makes her go they all sound FANTASTIC at full throttle.........

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 22:18:39 »
The proof would be a photo of the Lancaster with engines stationary, to see the prop blades.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 22:04:43 »
Time for me to defend myself I think. Back in the 1980's I was a hairdresser in Canterbury and one of my clients was a pilot at Lossimouth flying Shackleton's (his family lived in Canterbury). At the time I was also very heavily into aircraft and got the monthly rags. It was this officer who told me that she had been to Lossimouth for some work and one of her engines was swopped at the time. It was the main starting engine (I have been informed that it would have been No 3) that was changed out as the Merlin was about shot through and at the time there were no spares to be had as they were earmarked for the other single engined planes. About six weeks later I saw it reported in Aircraft Magazine that the work had been done.

I rest my defence M'Lud.

S4.

P.S. My friend gave me a wonderful Tee Shirt that had a brilliant slogan on referring to the superiority of the Shackleton's propulsion over the Nimrod which was being phased in at the time (that dates it, and me......).
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines