News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Eagle Tavern, Military Rd, Chatham [i]  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: The Eagle Tavern, Military Rd, Chatham [i]
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:24:17 »
The only Eagle Tavern I`ve known is the one in Rochester high street, many pubs have changed their names over the years.
Hope x

Offline Yottie Syd

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 17:58:03 »
This is the only site that refers to the Eagle Tavern, Military Road, Chatham, I was a stoker on the HMS Vidal and this was our local and in 1969 Mick and Marie Baskett were the licensees, and the barman was Gay Colin, we sailed to the Persian Gulf for a six month tour of surveying the Gulf for when the supertankers would transport the oil out, when we arrived back in Chatham our home port it was the Eagle to where we all headed for and Mick and Marie were still i/c, i assisted behind the bar and we found out that the pub and shops around were closing in near future to make way for modernization of the area, Micke and Marie were offered and took over the Old Geoge which was on the opposite side of Military Road about a hundred yards up to the left of the Eagle, i was kept on to run the Eagle until it was closed later on, the pub was nothing special inside but the customers were brilliant and never caused any problems it was a pub that you could let your hair down in and not cause a problem.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 19:04:40 »
Each place should be discussed in their respective threads to avoid confusion.

Geoff B

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 13:40:02 »
I remember the Eagle and had a few beers in there back in the early 70s but mostly used the Con Club just alone the road bet you had a few in the Duchess Of Edinburgh too in the high street. These pubs were close when the Pentagon was built  but i am sure there are still servicemen all over the world that would remember these pubs.

I don't think I ever went in the Duchess of Edinburgh.

I had a pub crawl for the charity pram race mentioned below . Coachmakers,Old Barn Jolly Caulkers,White Hart and the Fountain ocassionally the Shipwrights the Swan in the Brook,The  Eagle, Army& Navy Cabin Bar,Old George, Kings Arms in Medway st. Royal Exchange and the Ship in Rochester High st end of Chatham.

By the time I got there I dont remember the rest  :) Assuming I made it to there in the first place. Although I was based in Aldershot Hants I was home most weekends I had many friends in the Devon and Dorset Regiment who were at Gordon Barracks. A few of  the sailors were mates as well off HMS Phoebe,Minerva, Torquay and the Exmouth. They were good old days the inter service rivalry and wind ups were all good fun but never any fights. Chatham was a thriving town then in the 70s, now its sadly dead at night.

I feel Chatham ought to look at Portsmouth now and learn how to regenerate a town especially at night.

I remember a charity pram race from one end of the town to the other with teams of servicemen. This was organised from the Eagle by the serviceman that drank there. The idea being to start at Luton Arches and have a pint in every pub to the ship in Rochester including the Brook and Medway st. Don Rose The Ship landlord collected the sponsor money for the Kent Guide Dog for the Blind. The winner was normally the last team that could stand up. Some never made it to the Ship. Sometimes the railings over the sun pier was as far as they got. Wow Those sailors could drink off the Exmouth. We had no chance in my team :). The were really happy days. These pubs will ever be in servicemens memories great pr1uk for jogging my memory.

I am sorry if its broke the rules slightly Kyn but to break this story up would loose the thread and theme  on how servicemen enjoyed themselves in the 70s and did something for charity as well. In the meantime both myself and the Devon and Dorset Regiment had served in Northern Ireland and been involved in some nasty terrorist incidents losing comrades and a few narrow escapes myself. Pubs were our way of letting off steam. We even found time to do charity work. The Eagle was normally the first call of the evening for most. They went to other pubs from there.

The atmosphere in all the pubs was as described above happy with banter.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:44 »
I remember the Eagle and had a few beers in there back in the early 70s but mostly used the Con Club just alone the road bet you had a few in the Duchess Of Edinburgh too in the high street. These pubs were close when the Pentagon was built  but i am sure there are still servicemen all over the world that would remember these pubs.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Geoff B

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 23:29:56 »
Thanks thats lovely to see that again. :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 23:21:08 »
I can confirm that davidt is right.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 23:14:41 »
Have a look at these pictures Geoff B. I think The Eagle is by the bus in the first picture and next to Coopers in the second. I'm not certain of this though, so I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Note the incorrect caption on the first card - definitely Military Road, not the High Street!

Geoff B

The Eagle Tavern, Military Rd, Chatham [i]
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 22:39:07 »
When I used to come home on leave in the 70s I used to drink in a pub in Military Rd called the Eagle Tavern. I have been through the threads and cannot find any information on it. Does anyone else have photos of it ?  It was about two or three buildings in from the Brook on the Luton side of Military rd as I recall. I had many a good leave in there :) I believe the pub was named after HMS Eagle the aircraft carrier.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines