News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shop in Castle Road Chatham  (Read 12536 times)

Geoff B

Re: shop in castle road chatham
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 09:21:23 »
Good to see my coz in Oz on the board! I do remember the shop quite well, very different from the shops of today. As I recall the paper rounds were the most lucrative part of the shop and spread all round Castle Road, the nearest other newsagent was on the Luton Road.

Hi Chas

I was one of two paper boys in 1965 to 69. One paper round was Castle Rd Victoria and Dagmar Rd.

I had the the Wayfield round with a few in Ansell ,Gt South and Whyman Ave and Top of Magpie Rd. I remember doing the farm at Snodhurst Button This round was scattered a bit in all the roads on Wayfield estate. I needed my bike to do that. In all about 40 papers. Castle Rd was a heavy bag having t go back to the shop for the second bag as it was heavy. About 150 papers in all.

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 07:57:20 »
Good to see my coz in Oz on the board! I do remember the shop quite well, very different from the shops of today. As I recall the paper rounds were the most lucrative part of the shop and spread all round Castle Road, the nearest other newsagent was on the Luton Road.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 2
Re: Shop in Castle Road Chatham
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 20:00:07 »
The Berry family also had a younger daughter.l

Coldow

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 12:35:04 »
Hello ...I am Colin...my Nan used to owned the shop in the "front room" ...she set it up in the war to sell black market goods I believe...and when the war ended she went legit ...she sold it to the Short family...and I used to lived opposite at 235 Castle Road...I think know you Geoff...I love to say hello to anyone still arpound ...Mrs Groves next door and the Randell 2 doors down ...and loads more.

Geoff B

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 23:11:14 »
The Berry's had two girls and a boy as I recall now Linda & Georgina being the youngest,

julie

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 22:12:32 »
i do know it was there in early 70's me and my sister use to go in there after we went in the chip shop berry's i alway's got a spam fritter my sister got fish cake she still tell's me now that no-one can make a fish cake like his.i remember he had a daughter named georgina

Geoff B

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 13:54:14 »
The shop smiler was on about was still open in 1966 but not sure after that

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 13:32:24 »
yes smiler that is the shop do you know when it closed .
Only at a guess I'd say about 62 but I could be years out , you speaking on here made me think of first time in 50 years

julie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:01:34 »
Yes smiler that is the shop do you know when it closed .

Geoff B

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:58 »
There was one opposite the steps and alley at 210 which was Mrs Bodkins. There was one further down near the bottom with big steps that went up into Gordon rd.Probably in the 100 numbers in Castle Rd.

Shorts shop would be up around 240 Castle Rd it was up a bit from my Grans at 210

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:30 »
Julie are you talking about the small front room shop as I recall about 50yds from the top on the right going up 50/60s

julie

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 00:53:02 »
Thank's Geoff B nice to here someone else remember's the shop i also remember the other shop's there was quite a few shop's in castle road that have all now closed including a green grocer's about halfway down opposite the shop that had step's next to it leading up to gordon road in them day's there use to be a shop on every corner.

Geoff B

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 18:24:31 »
Hi julie i did know the Shorts well.  I was her paper delivery  boy in 1965-1969. Her husband was George and they had a son Reg who was in the Merchant Navy. I cant rememberMrs Shorts first name. Mrs Bodkin had a shop opposite my Gran at 210 castle Rd and I lived at 269 castle Rd. The chip shop was owned by Fred Freeland and later the Berry Family. The shop on the top of castle by Shipwright ave was owned by the baileys and then I think the Laramars but not 100% sure on Laramars. The fish shop is now a chinese take away.  I joined the Army in 1969 I think it was still open when I came on leave in 1970 but after that I did not come back this way. I hope that helps.

julie

Shop in Castle Road Chatham
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 16:28:40 »
Anyone remember mr and and mrs short's shop in castle road chatham it was a house but there front room was made into a little shop they was alway's polite to everyone it seem's strange now and i often wonder when it closed anyone else remember this shop .

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines