News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Square Meal cafe, Birchington.  (Read 2276 times)

netsy

Re: Square Meal cafe, Birchington.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:24 »
My mother and her sister lived there as children when it was known as The Welcome Cafe. Their parents ran the cafe until 1932 and the building was entirely different at the front of course. My mother is 88 and my aunt is 87 now and we did a lovely 'memory lane' trip to Kent in September from The Midlands and visited the cafe now known as The Square Meal Cafe. The current owners were so kind and very interested in their recollections. The garden at the back of the building was so special to them as they remembered running from the garden across the fields behind and down to Minnis Bay. They remember campers pitching tents behind the house. Sadly, their parents and elder sister died within 3 yrs of each other when Mum and Auntie were very young teenagers and their lives changed forever but they have always treasured the memories of their happy childhood days in Birchington and surrounding coastal areas.  The owners of the cafe are lovely people and made two elderly ladies very happy.

Offline Beachbum

• Appreciation 0
Re: Square Meal cafe, Birchington.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 23:14:25 »
I can remember it as Unicorn Motors/Cars, that was dating back to the 1980's.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Square Meal cafe, Birchington.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 22:02:06 »
I'm looking into the history of the building for the owners of the cafe.
I've been told that it's been a cafe for many years, it was a garage at one time too, not one that sold petrol but one that sold cars.

Anyone know or remember anything about this?

Underneath the window are the remains of two tracks, which carry on under the door, I guess that there were two sliding doors there, to me that indicates that it may have been a  car show room, although the area is big enough to have been a petrol garage too.

I took these photos recently.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines