News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gillingham area mystery building photo  (Read 16543 times)

johnabutler

Re: Gillingham area mystery building photo
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 15:52:27 »
Any chance this might now be the motor spares shop, just below the Rainham W M Club, in Station Road, near the taxi office?

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:07 »
Well done Jaj and Merry, a briliant bit of detective work.  I spent a a couple of hours last night looking for clues in the old directories but could not find it.   The thing that I am still wondering about is how the reflection of Eckerts appeared on the glass in this shop.  

Having used the reflections in shop windows for many years as a driving aid in heavy traffic, I was pleased when davpott published a better resolution image. I was able to resample it at a much higher resolution and apply other tweaks to enhance the reflection. I would not be surprised if the photographer used a filter to cut down any reflections in the window, although, looking at the image again it does look as though some form of masking has been applied. This would also have obscured the name over the shop which, I believe was glass covered.

In my previous post I meant to give the link that included the description which stated that the photo was approx 1915 ( although Couchman's description states 1911, which I trust more as Couchman, like myself, was a former draughtsman) and that the market arcade was later built on the vacant site. Davpott, I had forgotten about Couchman although the description by MALSC states copyright and source unknown (Couchman images came from many sources).

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 47
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 23:15:10 »
Thank you and well done by everyone.
I have had a copy of the picture in my car for ages and looked in vain every time I go into the Medway area trying to locate similar architecture. I doubt it would have crossed my mind to look on the other side of the river.

This is a link slightly better image than the one Swiftone posted. The sign writing seen on my picture is clearly visible making them roughly contemporary.
http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=ShowImg&Img=/cityark/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_12.html/DE402_12_25U.jpg
I had a little dig around on Edina Digimap. (Old OS maps for those with a university or college library access) sorry cannot post them due to copyright. Comparing the 1896 map with the 1908 map it is clear the entire shown on the photo was cleared along with the rest of the plot down to Station road. Rebuilding then began from east to west but on a setback building line, which is perhaps why the entire area was demolished in the first place. 
A later, perhaps between the wars, photo.
http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=ShowImg&Img=/cityark/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_12.html/DE402_12_23.jpg
The architect Frederick Pott was my grandfather. He was born 1887 and served his apprenticeship in Chatham. At 21 in 1908 he would have finished his training and able to form his own business.  I know that he set up in practice in Sheerness but I was told by my father he then paid ‘a fine’ to his master to allow him to also practice in Gillingham as well as his father had died (landlord of the Ghuznee).
I have a similarly written postcard to who was to become his wife, my grandmother, dated June 1908. I suspect that this is not too many months afterwards, a young man with a commission as an architect for a building close enough for her to go and see. Young love....
It may even tie in with the tale my father told me. His father told him his mother had been so stuck up she once ignored him when they passed each other on Rochester Bridge. I had wondered what either of them were likely to be doing on the bridge at the same time as they both lived in Gillingham.

Merry

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 21:28:16 »
Golly, I am ridiculously pleased!

Well done Jaj...your contribution much greater than mine!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 20:55:01 »
Crikey, it's CSI Medway!

Yes, and are we good or what? Nice bit of tracing lads. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 20:15:27 »
Crikey, it's CSI Medway!

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 19:47:49 »
Well done Jaj and Merry, a briliant bit of detective work.  I spent a a couple of hours last night looking for clues in the old directories but could not find it.   The thing that I am still wondering about is how the reflection of Eckerts appeared on the glass in this shop. 

Anyhow, well done.

DTT

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 17:12:27 »
This image on MALSC shows the building that jaj found. According to the description the gap to the left of the building in davpott's original image was caused by demolition. If that is true then the gable end was tidied up well. The description states "looking west from Rochester Bridge". I think that should read "from the railway bridge".

http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/MALSC_thumbnail/Imager.dll?Image=/apps/medwayimages/ImageLibrary/High%20Street%20c1915%202.jpg&width=450&height=300&Compression=80

Use the browser zoom function to see the image better.

jaj

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 10:39:32 »
How did you find it so far away? Well done to both jaj and Merry.

I knew i had seen the tiled lower walls and heavy corbels from some time in the past, probably from where I've sat at the traffic lights outside the shop for far too many hours.  Anyway, all day I had been thinking about it and couldn't let it go, but when you guys came up with the excellent discovery of window reflection 'Ekerts' I recall the name being mentioned elsewhere on the web and who had stated they were in Strood.  I then just did a Streetview tour of the Highstreet and came across the Demelza shop and its neighbour.  So  a great collaboration from the guys on this thread really, one of us would have got it in the end regardless, of that I'm sure.

jaj

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 06:47:06 »
How did you find it so far away? Well done to both jaj and Merry.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 05:18:20 »
Excellent work jaj - .

jaj

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 00:52:33 »
Think I've got it guys.

It's in Strood High Street and was opposite Eckert's cycle shop (long gone) .  According to Streetview it is the Demelza shop.  Here's the Streetview link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=+strood&hl=en&ll=51.394942,0.498569&spn=0.00405,0.00809&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.738773,33.134766&t=h&hnear=Strood,+Medway,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.394829,0.49639&panoid=C8AgJif5iHFhOYE0jLUGnw&cbp=12,62.3,,1,1.54

jaj

Merry

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 21:13:43 »
I think the first character is &, followed by a capital E - squinting it looks like E C K E R T .   

I just love this sort of puzzle!

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 20:31:32 »
Could it possibly be a Telephone number . Following S4 thinking ,m aybe it is     & Ecx. 819  (Ecx being Exchange)
Or perhaps it is  & Export.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 20:25:50 »
Having tweaked and twiddled the best I can do is little help. I still can't make out the word after the &.

Maybe someone can decipher it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines