News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Parishes in Gillingham  (Read 1995 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Leofwine

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2391
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Parishes in Gillingham
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 18:22:40 »
At risk of getting off topic, the original parish of Gillingham (which included Brompton, Barnsole, Lidsing, etc) was subdivided a number of times as the population grew. Brompton parish was carved out of it c1830, New Brompton in 1865. As New Brompton & Gillingham expanded more parishes were made, I think as many as five or six separate parishes were formed out of the original Gillingham parish.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BONZO

  • Guest
Parishes in Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 16:14:35 »
Interesting that Kelly's Directory 1882 places the parish formation at 1865



NEW BROMPTON is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1865, from the parish
of Gillingham and is the Mid division of the county, Medway union, Gillingham
local board district and Rochester county court district, Chatham and Gillingham
hundred, lathe of Aylesford and Rochester rural deanery, archdeaconry and
diocese and is one mile east from Chatham. The London, Chatham and Dover railway
has a station here. The church if St Mark is a building in the Early English
style and consists of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles and vestry to
which a tower and spire will be added on the south-west, the nave is separated
from the aisles by arcades of five arches, each supported on round pillars with
moulded capitals, the aisles are continued as far as the chancel arch, which is
enclosed by iron grilles, there is a credence, with piscine below, on the south
side of the communion table, the apse is lighted by three windows of two lights,
with a quatre-foil above and there is a fine window of five lights at the west
end of the nave, there are also 800 seats, all free and inappropriate. The
register dates from the year 1865. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value
£330, in the gift of the vicar of Gillingham and held since 1872 by the Rev.
Richard Morris, of Trinity College, Dublin. The Baptist chapel in Green street
was erected in 1881. The Wesleyan chapel is in Canterbury street and was opened
in 1882. A spacious building suitable for public meetings was erected in the
year 1876 in Railway street and consists of a large hall, well lighted and
ventilated and fitted with a balcony and stage; the minor hall, divided by
folding doors, is arranged so as to deepen the stage for theatrical purposes.
The area is 524 acres; estimated population in 1881, 14,000.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines