News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brazilian Submarine Tonelero - the last Oberon class.  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
Re: Brazilian Submarine Tonelero - the last Oberon class.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:12 »
Pictures restored
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:18:33 »
Yes, the story is basically true. The two sections of pressure hull replaced made up the control room area and the arft section, I think it held the ward room plus captain`s cabin, an air tight 'coffer dam' was constructed at frame 91 and 102 (long time ago now, memory may be wrong about frame numbers). As far as I recall it was just this section tested at that time. The Vickers test team were very impressd and did indeed ask for a retest to confirm the results. I know this as I was responsible for the Vickers plus test team film badges, so was a part of the test team, a very interesting job while it lasted. I don't think the job was paid for as such, the term "a gesture of good will to the Brazilian people" springs to mind.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 17:46:24 »
Signals99, I heard a story about the Tonelero's repairs from someone who was involved in it, which, from what you say, may well be true.

Because the contract for the construction of the boat was between the Brazilian Navy and Vickers, there were Vickers engineers and managers overseeing the work at Chatham. Once the new pressure hull sections had been installed and the boat put back together, it was time to test her for air-tightness. By all accounts, senders were installed inside the boat for pressure gauges located outside. The inside of the boat was duly pressurised and the gauges monitored for pressure drops. There weren't any.

Allegedly, the engineers from Vickers were having none of this and insisted that new gauges and senders be installed and the process repeated. This routine was apparently repeated a number of times until they were satisfied that the boat had no leaks. After the pressure hull repairs had been signed off by Vickers, they revealed the reason behind all the mucking about. Apparently, it was common in Vickers-built boats for there to be small leaks in the pressure hull welds which had to be found and fixed before the boat was handed over to the customer.

I'm only passing on what I was told, which is the reason for the judicious use of "apparently" and "allegedly".
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 23:41:05 »
Just a bit more information on the Tonelero. At the time of her refit I was a health physics monitor working in the nuclear complex. Due to the large amount of welding involved in her pressurised hull, very extensive none destructive testing was involved, IE radiography or x rays, of all welds. This called for much higher sources of radio active emitters than usually used so "safe areas" and exclusion zones during shooting were in order, our job was setting up and monitoring of the hazards.
I add, with pride, not one weld failed, Chatham produced a team of first class welders, mostly all gone now, lost to industry and the country. Much fun has been made of the "dockyard matey" over the years, in my opinion the yard turned out first class tradesmen in the main.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 20:32:00 »
Good old Chatham skills and knowhow. A fascinating history that.

There is actually a working model of the boat.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27448505@N04/sets/72157631484764662/detail/?page=2
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 16:33:16 »
A low resolution picture of the sunken Tonelero.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 19:58:31 »
Brilliant pics Bilgerat, thanks for posting. 

DTT

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
Brazilian Submarine Tonelero - the last Oberon class.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 19:31:49 »
The Tonelero was a Brazilian Oberon class submarine, sister-boat to HMS Ocelot and was the last Oberon class boat to be completed for any navy.

Tonelero was originally ordered from Vickers on 22nd May 1970 by the Brazilian Navy. She was laid down at Barrow-in-Furness on 18th November 1971 and was launched on 22nd November 1972.

The Chatham connection to this comes about now - During fitting out, there was a serious fire aboard and the submarine was very badly damaged. So much so, that the decision was taken that the only way to salvage the boat would be to replace the damaged section of Pressure Hull completely. The only place in the country with the facilities, skills and tools to perform a repair on this scale was Chatham.

The Tonelero was towed to the naval base at Chatham. Once there, she was docked in No 5 dock. She was dismantled sufficiently to allow the centre 60ft section of her pressure hull to be cut out. The new Pressure Hull sections were built on No 7 slip and taken on low-loaders to No 5 Dock, where they were inserted into the hull. Once that was complete, the boat was completely rewired from scratch.

Repair sections leaving 7 slip

Repair sections arriving on site at 5 dock

Repair sections going into the hull

Tonelero left Chatham in April 1975 and returned to Barrow.

As a result of this delay, Tonelero didn't commission into the Brazilian Navy until 8th September 1978, making her the final Oberon Class submarine to be built.

Tonelero went on to have a long career with the Brazilian Navy. She was given a mid-life upgrade in 1995 by HDW/Ferrostal. An unfortunate incident happened to the boat on Christmas Eve 2000, when she sank at her mooring in the Rio de Janiero naval base. All 9 crew members aboard at the time escaped safely. The boat was refloated on 8th January 2001. The cause of the sinking was put down to crew error. At the time, the boat was under repair, but has since been decommissioned.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines