News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HM Submarine Sterlet  (Read 4897 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: HM Submarine Sterlet
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:59:56 »
I don't know if "SERAPH" was the last "S" Class in service . 

We used to drop practice depth charges on padded Sub HMS Seraph from RAF Shackletons during the 1960`s.
             Had a RN Officers` hat with lead streaks on it, in a glass case in the crew room. Was sent to the Sqdn, with a sarky comment after a 8 1/2 lb smoke bomb dropped in the control tower. One of a pair that was supposed to straddle the sub, simulating a depth charge attack ) Luckily for the owner it wasn`t a Practice Depth Charge  :).
             Also used to do low passes up the starboard side of RN and allied ships and drop a couple of 8 1/2 lb practice bombs (Smoke in Daylight and Flame at night). Let them train the guns on us for practice.
            Crept up behind a giant Russian battle wagon up in the Arctic Ocean once. The 2 aft turrets and 2 fwds, their Guns Radar tracked round on us all the way by.
            Wouldn't have stood a chance if for real.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:08:02 »
Pictures restored
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 18:14:04 »
HMS Sterlet being launched by a Mrs. Talbot on 21st Sept 1937

cliveh

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
HM Submarine Sterlet
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 19:43:46 »
HMS Sterlet was a Group 2 S Class coastal patrol submarine built at Chatham. The S Class was the most numerous British submarine ever built, with 62 boats being completed between the early 1930s and the end of WW2.

HMS Sterlet was laid down on No 7 slip on 14th July 1936 and was launched into the Medway by Lady Talbot on 22nd September 1937. After fitting out at Chatham she commissioned on 6th April 1938. On completion, she displaced 670 tons surfaced and 960 tons dived. She was armed with 6 21" torpedo tubes in the bow, a 3" deck gun and machine guns on the bridge.

HMS Sterlet moored in the Medway

At the outbreak of WW2, she was in Dundee and embarked on war patrols from there immediately before moving to Rosyth in October 1939.

Sterlet at sea

She spent 6 months conducting uneventful war patrols in the North Sea from the coast of Norway down to the Netherlands until April 1940.

On 8th April 1940, she departed Harwich to conduct a war patrol in the Skagerrak between Norway, Sweden and Denmark. On 12th April, she unsuccessfully attacked a German convoy consisting of 3 merchant ships and a destroyer. On 15th April, HMS Sterlet torpedoed and sank the German gunnery training ship Brummer in the Skagerrak, south of Larvik, Norway.

On 18th April, she was depth charged by the German anti-submarine trawlers UJ-125, UJ-126 and UJ-128. Whether that attack destroyed the boat or not is unclear, it may be that HMS Sterlet was lost to a mine. What is known is that HMS Sterlet and her crew were never seen or heard from again and she was presumed lost with all hands.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines