News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brennan Torpedo Factory, Gillingham  (Read 4717 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Brennan Torpedo Factory, Gillingham
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 22:02:13 »
1940's

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:05 »
Something I was just wondering and I can't find any definite information for it on the Web or in Beanse's book. Does anybody know the location for Brennan's Factory in Gillingham? There is a plan for factory at Kew (WO 28/4415) but the information does not give an exact location. I was wondering if anybody else as looked into this.

It does not give a location though.  I believe it was down Pier Approach Road where the little industrial area is.

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 21:04:29 »
The post by Swiftone is correct as there were two Brennan torpedo factories at Chatham. The older one was located where the naval barracks were later built and the plans posted by Martinrogers are for its replacement hence the late date of 1899 and yes the building was relocated to close to Gillingham public wharf.

In 1896 30 acres of land was transferred at St Mary's Vale from the War Department to the Admiralty for the construction of the massive naval barracks that are now the university campus i.e. HMS Pembroke. Listed in the costs totaling over 45,000 that the navy had to meet in order to free up the site is the sum of 11,100 for reconstructing the Brennan torpedo factory.

I am sure that somewhere I have seen a map with the older Brennan torpedo factory marked on it close to the convict prison which was also cleared to make way for the barracks. I have not seen a map with the later factory marked by name but it should be possible to spot the configuration of buildings on either a map or on air photos.

Thanks Charles. You have cleared up conflicting information. I am unable to access my main computer at the moment but, from memory, William Croneen (pubs and cinemas) had a brickfield where Pier Approach Road is. He won a High Court case to prevent his land being compulsary purchased. I don't have a date for this but obviously the land was eventually taken over although there appears to be public access to Gillingham Pier. There is also an S shaped loop halfway between Gillingham Gate and St Marys Barracks in the tramway that ran from East Gate in Pier Road. This is on the 1866 up to 1898 revised map. Brennon had tracks laid in a large square that went down to the river ( for testing torpedoes by launching them from a moving wagon into the water). I don't have any information on which site this was.

Offline Charles

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 16:50:19 »
The post by Swiftone is correct as there were two Brennan torpedo factories at Chatham. The older one was located where the naval barracks were later built and the plans posted by Martinrogers are for its replacement hence the late date of 1899 and yes the building was relocated to close to Gillingham public wharf.

In 1896 30 acres of land was transferred at St Mary's Vale from the War Department to the Admiralty for the construction of the massive naval barracks that are now the university campus i.e. HMS Pembroke. Listed in the costs totaling over 45,000 that the navy had to meet in order to free up the site is the sum of 11,100 for reconstructing the Brennan torpedo factory.

I am sure that somewhere I have seen a map with the older Brennan torpedo factory marked on it close to the convict prison which was also cleared to make way for the barracks. I have not seen a map with the later factory marked by name but it should be possible to spot the configuration of buildings on either a map or on air photos.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:33 »
In about 1979/80 the Borough Engineer on Gillingham Council told me the council depot in Pier Approach Road was Brennan's old factory. Looking at the plans and the direction 'True North' is shown to be, this does fit. It would make the road partially shown on the extreme left of the Site Plan to be Pier Approach Road and the roadway shown going into the factory would be roughly opposite the bricked up gateway in the Dockyard wall. I do seem to recall many years ago that there were the remains of narrow gauge rail tracks coming out of the river end of the factory site towards the drawdock of Gillingham Pier.

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 16:43:33 »
I did read somewhere that St Marys Barracks was built on part of the factory and bromptonboy also stated that East Gate in Pier Approach Road led to Brennan Torpedo Factory with a tunnel going under the dockyard railway link. Martinrogers post shows a ditch on the last sheet that I thought was the defence ditch and maybe the road was Cumberland Road. Of course I could be completely wrong.

Quote from this site http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/chatham_dockyard.htm
"there was, however, a great need for suitable new buildings, and the inconvenience of putting seamen into hulks at the port was strongly urged in 1894. It was then proposed to commence a new Naval barracks to accommodate 3,500 officers and men, and after which it would be possible to remove the old hulks, and to find space for the berthing of modern vessels, and designs were prepared, but a difficulty arose in regard to the necessary land, and a long delay resulted. Negotiations were entered into with the War Office for a site, upon part of which the Brennan torpedo factory stood, but in 1898 the military authorities were still reconstructing the factory, so that the land might be made available. Meanwhile the contract was signed for the construction of the barracks, and considerable progress has since been made, the western block having been completed, while two other blocks are well above ground. The delay has been unfortunate, for the inconvenience and discomfort of a  seaman's life on board a hulk are an important consideration in these days, when the comforts of the shore exercise such a powerful attraction upon the men of the fleet. (below left cruisers are berthed for repair and refit)"

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 14:20:40 »
It was down Pier Road in Gillingham.  Apparently a few years ago there was a chance that one of the buildings could possibly still remain but I don' think anyone went to check and I don't know how much of the area was developed.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:58:15 »
Where was it located?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)