News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Master Rigger Chatham Dockyard  (Read 4606 times)

Derek

Re: Master Rigger Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 17:16:37 »
I was at the dockyard for a number of years in the Admiralty Constabulary. As regards the Main Gate, they were houses built into either side and looking from within the Yard, on the right, it was the Dockyard Padre's House whilst on the left it was the Port Admiral's Flag Lieutenant's quarters. There was, just round the corner, a detached house within the wall and facing the ropery building that may be the residence you are referring to.
As regards 'Flats', they were just outside the gate and are still there facing towards Brompton. In my day they were Police accommodation, in fact I lived in one, but were, in the eighties, sold as private apartments.

phill rose

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 19:01:39 »
Chatham was civilianised in 68, Rosyth and Devonport I believe 72/73 ish.

My information is that my father, Charles Rose, was appointed to be the first civilian MR in Chatham but he turned it down as she who must be obeyed said she was not going to move again.

Since being married they had done Portsmouth, Malta, Rosyth, Malta, Chatham and finally back to Portsmouth and she said enough was enough.

He was eventually made MR in Portsmouth in 73, and appointed MBE on his retirement.

PR

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:19:50 »
The Master Rigger became a civilian job and he was based in the rigging house, a building at the end of the yard running parallel and facing basin 1. He was in charge of all rigging within the yard and also all mooring of naval vessels within the base as well as all dockings of vessels. The last Master Rigger I believe was a Mr Dangerfield, I work there for a year in the late 60's and it was a great job. I never left the yard, just moved departments. I do remember the older riggers would say, back in that day, the Master Rigger always wore a bowler hat when out on ship movements but that was ended before I worked there late 60's. There was a smaller rigging department on the centre of Bulls Nose under the reservoir the riggers and semi skilled labours there did all ships movements in and out of the locks and when not doing that, was just like the other riggers, splicing ropes and wires.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline CHANTALIAN

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:33:52 »
Thanks for that CDP.

Now find the time to follow upon it. Retirement? I was not as busy when I was working.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 19:54:05 »
Kew has the records of Dockyard workers etc referred to as A.D.M 's . Each man had a card ? on which was written his age, description, children, etc. and his progress through his lifetime and whenever he moved his job, e.g moved Dockyards, this ADM card went with him.

e.g.
ADM 106/3625 SHEERNESS
John Penney, entered June 15th 1799, 36 years, shipwright, 7 years service
after apprenticeship, 16 years including apprenticeship, married,  3 children,
apprenticed at Deptford, 5' 9" tall, dark complexion, living in Sheerness.

My family worked in Chatham up to about 1900 mostly as shipwrights. The
pay books are at Kew. The earliest one I have consulted is 1738 = ADM 42
184; the latest 1828/9 = ADM 42 284. The pay books include Shipwrights,
Carpenters and Joiners as well as Clerks, Brickies, et al. ADM 42 covers all
the Royal Yards, Ordinary ie crews of ships laid up and Extra-ordinary, ie
those working ashore. ADM 106 2975 gives outline of service of Artificers at
Chatham and ADM 106 2980 of Portsmouth for 1779. I am not sure what
constitutes an Artificer but it includes shipwrights.

ADM 106/2983 Description Book Sheerness
1796 1st quarter. Thomas Penney aged 29, Quaterman, entered July 11th  1795, married  two children. Apprenticeship Sheerness/Chatham, 1st class Character, 5- 1 tall and dark.

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CHANTALIAN

• Appreciation 2
Master Rigger Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 18:22:22 »
Back in the early 1920's, my grandfather, a lieutenent RN, was posted to Chatham Dockyard as Master Rigger. I understand he was responsible for the rigging of all RN ships at Chatham Dockyard. Family History has it that he was involved in the rigging of HMS Victory for the trip to Portsmouth, although I am not too sure about this.

Whilst holding this commission he was housed in one of the two flats above Main Gate, Chatham Dockyard.

Anybody know anything about this post or how I could gain further information?

I'm pleased to say my family had plenty to do with the Dockyard, including the flag loft, and I feel it was a great shame it closed, although I do understand why.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines