News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dip Gardens Minnis Bay (Birchington)  (Read 3940 times)

birchingtonboy

Re: Dip Gardens Minnis Bay (Birchington)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 18:29:33 »
Good Evening,the brick archway  at the seaward end of the dip was once used for storing corporation deckchairs.The hotel that is now a block of flats was at one time a cafe called "Uncle Toms Cabin "and it was the only place in Thanet where you could get Walls "Cornish Ice cream".

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Re: dip gardens minnis bay (birchington)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:34 »
Can you please use capital letters when posting, it looks untidy and makes the forum look less professional.  There was a big discussion about this which led to the use of capital letters, grammar etc being added to the guidelines.  Thank you.

darrenh

Dip Gardens Minnis Bay (Birchington)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:23 »
Initially intrigued by "that 'ole in the ground" during a recent visit, I began wondering what it used to be?  It almost looked like a tidal boating pool as it has a brick archway at the sea end, which is now blocked off.   There is also an actual tidal pool on the beach side of the sea wall.

Aerial view

My meagre means of investigation found that the area was once the outlet to a creek and marshland which stretched much further inland (still does in other areas as we found)  the land was reclaimed with rubbish and spoil from margate before ww2 and this specific area in question turned into a "gardens",  pavillion, greenhouses and even at one point a tennis court.

In this postcard you can see the bay hotel in the distance (now replaced with flats i believe)  the sea would be on the left of the break in the picture.

Post moderated to add capital letters throughout post!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines