News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway City Estate  (Read 10367 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Medway City Estate
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 13:41:12 »
Many thanks DaveW. Although thought about it, I don't think that chap actually made a model layout. It would have been quite an interesting subject (& they had tons of room - one HO layout was nearly 20ft long), but obviously he needed a lot more info' -  & probably didn't know you!

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 22:08:11 »
Here's the site in 1960 (the 1940 google image is too indistinct to be worth reproducing).

(Image removed from quote.)
Hi Conan thanks for the reply,  I only knew this area from my visits in 1962 when trying to see if there were any remains of the long defunct Chattenden and Upnor railway in this area and I am still trying to piece together as much information as I can on this line, although I still have some old photos and fond memories of my visit here, this is a picture looking across the Medway in 1962 and another of the old railway track we were following...

Hi Dave Smith, thanks for the reply but I think that the person's father you mentioned that came from Strood  was mistaken about the gauge of the Chattenden and Upnor Railway which was originally built by the Royal Engineers as a standard gauge line and converted to narrow gauge, if my information is right, by around 1872 with a further change of gauge to 2ft 6 inch by1885. It ran from a pontoon on the River Medway which is now the Medway City Estate area to Lodge Hill where there were exchange sidings with the Chattenden Naval Tramway a standard gauge line that connected with the main line at Sharnal Street along with another railway the Kingsnorth light railway which was built in connection with a new munitions factory and some airship sheds in 1915 and connected Sharnal Street station with a pier at Abbots Court also on the River Medway....

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 15:25:07 »
3 years ago, when on hol.with my RAF friend in Perth, W.A., I spoke with one of the members of the Perth Model Railway Society (they rent a large bldg. in the old Fremantle Prison). His wife came from Strood & her father had worked on the railway at Chattenden, so he was trying to trace the history of it. I remember him saying that originally it was broad gauge but when they put in the link line to the main line near Strood, it was changed to standard gauge.

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 21:05:58 »
Here's the site in 1960 (the 1940 google image is too indistinct to be worth reproducing).

Hi Conan thanks for the reply,  I only knew this area from my visits in 1962 when trying to see if there were any remains of the long defunct Chattenden and Upnor railway in this area and I am still trying to piece together as much information as I can on this line, although I still have some old photos and fond memories of my visit here, this is a picture looking across the Medway in 1962 and another of the old railway track we were following...

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 23:39:39 »

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 19:25:32 »
Great to see that pic from the 80's - I work on the Estate now and it's great to see how it was 30 years ago. Are there any more pics?
I walked this area in 1962 with my late father trying to trace part of the long abandoned Chattenden and Upnor railway that ran to pontoon hard on the edge of the river Medway at around this point, the map is an 1898 OS photocopy of this area no trace of the Chattenden railway but we did stumble across the APCM Crown and Quarry works line, I was unaware at the time that there had originally been a 3ft 6inch gauge railway system here built in the 1880s but by 1905 it had been replaced by a standard gauge railway system serving the works area and quarry, Frindsbury works closed in 1963 and the remaining locomotives were disposed of...

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 19:22:26 »
Hi jimawilliams,
I worked in Victory House between March 1985 and April 1987, at that time it was occupied by IPC (Magazines) and Howards and at that time the windows were brown and even the "fixed" panes could be slid to open.
Black Horse Life (Lloyd's Bank) took over the building at some point in the early '90s and they spent a large amount of cash to refurbish the entire building, including new green framed sealed windows and air-conditioning.

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 19:07:53 »
Great to see that pic from the 80's - I work on the Estate now and it's great to see how it was 30 years ago. Are there any more pics?
I walked this area in 1962 with my late father trying to trace part of the long abandoned Chattenden and Upnor railway that ran to pontoon hard on the edge of the river Medway at around this point, the map is an 1898 OS photocopy of this area no trace of the Chattenden railway but we did stumble across the APCM Crown and Quarry works line, I was unaware at the time that there had originally been a 3ft 6inch gauge railway system here built in the 1880s but by 1905 it had been replaced by a standard gauge railway system serving the works area and quarry, Frindsbury works closed in 1963 and the remaining locomotives were disposed of...

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 15:58:58 »
Hi jimawilliams,
I worked in Victory House between March 1985 and April 1987, at that time it was occupied by IPC (Magazines) and Howards and at that time the windows were brown and even the "fixed" panes could be slid to open.
Black Horse Life (Lloyd's Bank) took over the building at some point in the early '90s and they spent a large amount of cash to refurbish the entire building, including new green framed sealed windows and air-conditioning.

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 01:12:22 »
A view in the 80's when developers had just started to expand on reclaimed marshland

Some recent photos showing the high density of businesses now on the estate

Very interesting pictures of the Medway City Estate numanfan, thank you.  The first picture that you posted, Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:30:04,  includes two long grey buildings, one slightly shorter than the other, adjoining each other side by side.  Their position on the photo is half way across and two thirds down, below the remaining swamp/lake area.   
I am almost certain that this was a company named “Howard Plant”.  I was employed there as an Automotive Electrician form 1977 to 1980.  Their parent company was John Howard (Civil Engineers) with offices in Chatham.  Howard Plant supplied and maintained the machinery for large civil engineering projects around SE England, including involvement in the construction of the Thames Barrier.  Your photo shows the yard around the buildings with their machinery and equipment.  Looking closely at the adjacent riverbank there are floating barges with a crane on deck.  I can recall sitting here eating my lunch and enjoying the river scenery.  For me Howard Plant was a wonderful company to work for.  Most of the time I was “out on the road”, travelling extensively around Kent / SE England to various large engineering projects.   I can recall Romney Marshes (an excavation) being so cold that my tools would stick to my hands with frostbite.  The work ethic was excellent and I took great pride in carrying out quality workmanship for the time I was employed there.
The photo below is of a Howard Plant crane during the construction of the Thames Barrier, note that the colour of the company logo/livery is dark green with white lettering.  Their office premises was Victory House, Meeting House Lane, Chatham and today we can still see this matching colour scheme, presumably dating back to the original construction.
I wonder if any other photographs exist of the early 1980's for the Medway City Estate.  Change is the only constant.

"Change is the only constant"

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 16:49:41 »
This image taken in 1907 is from 'Industrial Medway' by J.M.Preston.

Compare the number of chimneys to the MALSC image in 1910-20 http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/details.asp?pg=1&pga=4&searchtype=all&search=quarry

The Quarry cottages on the top of the hill on the peninsula can be seen quite clearly.

gavinparson

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 22:16:17 »
Nice to see the picture of Whitewall Creek in 1983. I lived on one of the two habitable barges at the head of the creek through that summer.
It was a nice quiet backwater back then. It's certainly a lot different now.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 20:10:14 »
And one from 1984, taken from Strood, showing part of the peninsula on the left of the picture - some green space, some industry, and some shipping by the look of the piles of timber(?) on the water's edge

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 20:03:44 »
From summer 1983, the first one definitely on the peninsula (we disturbed a massive flock of birds), and I'm pretty sure the second one too, but can't quite work out the angles.
The ground looks really scrubby in the first one, possibly because it used to be cement works?

jamie_st200

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 23:18:01 »
The eastern side was marshland but there was a cement works at Whitewall Creek ( where the Medway Tunnel emerges). The area south of Whitewall Cottages (East of Whitewall Creek) was marsh and believed to be an area where bodies were buried.

A colleague at work seems to think France actually own part of the river bank near the entrance/exit of the tunnel due to the amount of French pow buried there?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines