News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway City Estate  (Read 10628 times)

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
Re: Medway City Estate
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 15:13:09 »
Thanks for the memory revival swiftone. I lived in Friary Place as a boy and my Gran had a friend who lived in one of the cottages. We often went for a walk to vist her and I could not believe the things the pub sold. My Gran came away one day with a gallon of parafin and some gas globes, and I got a Vimto.

Greyuncle

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:47 »
A view in the 80's when developers had just started to expand on reclaimed marshland

Was there anything at all on the marshland before the industry took over? im surprised that there where no bodies buried there..bottom left looks 'simular' to a radio station layout

The western side was not originally marsh because the high ground from Frindsbury Church ran down almost to the tip of the peninsula which is probably why the river bends quite dramatically. There was a road on top and a building called Quarry House. In the 1800's and early 1900's there were numerous brickmaking and cement making industries and a tramway network. The area was extensively quarried up to the church and was a forest of chimneys at one time. The eastern side was marshland but there was a cement works at Whitewall Creek ( where the Medway Tunnel emerges). The area south of Whitewall Cottages (East of Whitewall Creek) was marsh and believed to be an area where bodies were buried. Whitewall Cottages had a pub with it's own deep well that was rumoured to contain very pure water.

There are various old photos around but these links will give you an idea of what it was like http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/details.asp?doc_id=3123&searchtype=all&pg=2&pga=9&search=cement

http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/details.asp?pg=1&pga=4&searchtype=all&search=quarry

Starboyx23

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 23:39:46 »
Great to see that pic from the 80's - I work on the Estate now and it's great to see how it was 30 years ago. Are there any more pics?

jamie_st200

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 19:09:34 »
Was there anything at all on the marshland before the industry took over? I`m surprised that there where no bodies buried there..bottom left looks 'similar' to a radio station layout.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Medway City Estate
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:30:04 »
A view in the 80's when developers had just started to expand on reclaimed marshland
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines