News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Man Killed by Booby Trap at Luton, Chatham.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Man Killed by Booby Trap at Luton, Chatham.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 20:37:29 »
Sid Taylor worked at Russell's Garage when I did in 1954. His favourite tool was a big hammer, and if anybody wanted a heavy item lifted, or a rusted up bolt loosened, it was "send for Sid". He was quite short but built like the proverbial brick 'outhouse'.  Yet, despite being the subject of this thread, he had a very pleasant and jovial nature.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 19:39:21 »
.I wonder whether the law about man traps etc. set between sunset and sunrise is still on the statute books.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:47:38 »
Booby trap for burglars had worked too well

Mail London Office – Saturday 27th December, 1952

A blast of shot from a booby trap fatally wounded a thief robbing the home of 42-year-old Sidney Taylor.
But a jury at Kent Assizes found him not guilty of manslaughter.
It recommended him to mercy. The judge set him free.
Mr. Justice Finnemore told Taylor, a motor mechanic: “The jury have come to a perfectly proper and righteous verdict.
“I am sure your act was a perfectly bona fide one, and you had no other thought than to protect your father's property, and perhaps your father himself.
“The fact that you broke the law in this respect does not call for any punishment.”
And the law, as prosecuting counsel Mr. R. E. Seaton outlined it, is this: “From sunset to sunrise any sprung gun man-trap or other engine may beset in a dwelling house for the protection thereof.”
But Taylor's booby trap went off in the middle of the morning while Noah Eastwood, a professional burglar, was opening a trunk in Taylor's home in Capstone road Luton, Chatham.
Eastwood was found in the street with shot wounds in the stomach, and died 10 days later.
Twice before, within 10 weeks, the cottage where Taylor lived with his 79 year-old father and brother, had been broken into. Once £30 was stolen from the trunk.
Taylor then rigged up the booby trap.
There were two pieces of metal tubing mounted on a frame just clearing the top of the trunk when the lid was open.
Each piece of tubing was loaded with a 12-bore cartridge and the trap was worked by a chain and spring so that when the lid of the trunk was lifted, the cartridges would be discharged.
If a person were standing up the discharge would probably hit him somewhere about the legs.
What Taylor did not realise, said counsel, was that if a person were going to force open the trunk, he would not necessarily do it standing up.

julie

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:29 »
1n the 1950's a farm out luton was burgled so many time's the owner decided to set a trap he had two sawn off shotguns loaded in a chest and when a local man went to rob him lifted the lid and got the full blast of the shotguns he died the next day from his wounds. The farmer was guilty but was given a discharge.If you visit the police museum chatham dockyard the chest is on display there has anyone else got any news about this event.

patmore

Man Killed by Booby Trap at Luton, Chatham.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:49:14 »
I have just found this. This was the second house in  'Bakers Row'. I was later to become this mans paperboy!
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2864656

I am not aware of all the facts and details of this incident, perhaps another member of the forum is better informed than I. However the story that I was told many years ago was that someone living in one of the houses in 'Bakers Row' set a trap in a trunk ,or box , in the form of a shotgun fixed in such a way that it would fire when the lid of the box was opened, with dire consequences to the person opening the lid. The motive for this was that the owner or tenant of the property believed he was going to  be robbed or burgled. Somebody did 'pay him a visit' and was hurt as a result.
                                                                                                                                                                     James

Further to these entries this is the booby trap.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines