News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gas Street Lighting  (Read 11407 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Gas Street Lighting
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 21:59:46 »
Upper Hardres Church

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 08:23:25 »
Not street lighting but I do remember a friend from the Sheerness tech school called Barry whose house was reckoned to be the last one in the town that was still lit by gas,this was in the late 60s.

When i was born in Priest Dale Chatham we only had gas but i remember moving to an all electric house late 50s and even in the 60s there were houses that had been converted to electric that still maintained the gas lighting as well.

To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 00:01:17 »
Not street lighting but I do remember a friend from the Sheerness tech school called Barry whose house was reckoned to be the last one in the town that was still lit by gas,this was in the late 60s.

A link to Wichling Church with a mention of the gas lamps

http://www.kentchurches.info/church.asp?p=Wichling
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 20:38:31 »
Is this one?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 16:53:11 »
The church of St. Margaret, Wychling is still lit by gas. Where do they obtain the mantles? Perhaps the `bottled gas` mantles fit?

Edit:   Lighting and heating is all from `bottled gas`.

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 16:50:24 »
If you want to see one fairly close up, walk down Cockpit Steps off Queen Annes Gate towards Birdcage Walk, was past there last week and noticed it.

I've a job on the go in Houses of Parliament (we are surveying the drains) and usually walk from Victoria via various routes on the lookout for anything different!

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 15:59:42 »

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 12:26:14 »
They must still be readily available somewhere, there's still plenty of gas lights in London.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:56 »
The church of St. Margaret, Wychling is still lit by gas. Where do they obtain the mantles? Perhaps the `bottled gas` mantles fit?

Edit Lighting and heating is all from `bottled gas`.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 23:21:39 »
When I worked at the Historic Dockyard, Chatham, I restored and replanted a number of lamp-posts which still had the old gas workings inside them. Long since converted to electricity, they are now standing again. Some are around the car-park in front of the Admirals Offices, one is outside the Captain Superintendent's house and one is by Thunderbolt Pier. They've all been modernised with the latest low-wattage light bulbs.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 18:13:31 »
Growing up in Sandwich, I remember the council man going his rounds on a bike with a ladder to wind up the old Venner clockwork time switches. A judicious kick at the lamp post by a small boy would often make them switch on during the day.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 21:16:48 »
When I lived in Dale End, Chatham during the 1960s there was a gas lamp right outside our front door. It had a wind-up clock inside that I could hear ticking on a quiet day. The mantle was lit by a battery powered lighter. The only street gas lamp I know to be still around is outside the house adjacent to the Sir John Falstaff in Higham. It appears to be still running on gas too.
Derek Brice

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 19:56:20 »
Lower Halstow

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 19:56:55 »
I remember Gaslights in Hunter's Way West, Montrose Avenue, Kingsway in Chatham, Foord Street Rochester, Kitchener Road and Temple Street in Strood.  I think they disappeared from Chatham around 1962/3.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:50 »
I remember during my gas days we found a lady still with gas lighting in Connaught  Rd Chatham and that was in the 70's.

I always remember a few houses left the gas in, even after the new posh electric was fitted and when there was a power cut you could see the living rooms come to life after they reverted back to the gas lighting. The house I lived in was one of only two houses left next to a bomb site and the gas was only used downstairs. In the bedroom we had to use candles, I alway remember the blue candle holder.
My first memory of an electric house was when I went with my brother and we put light bulbs in every room, back in the day when people moved they took everything including the light bulbs and often even the fittings.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines