News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gas Street Lighting  (Read 11425 times)

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
Re: Gas Street Lighting
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 21:15:57 »

Certainly remember the guy coming up Wickham street in Rochester when I was a lad.  So that would have been 1955 (when we moved there).  I reckon I must have been about 7 or possibly 8 when they stopped doing it which makes it about 1960/61 but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

On the subject of your "gas only" house, I recall that when they changed that area over to North Sea gas, they were very perturbed to find that a lady in Catherine street still had gas lighting!  They had to specially make parts for her gas mantles - her name was Betty something.

I remember during my gas days we found a lady still with gas lighting in Connaught Road, Chatham and that was in the 70's.

I don`t know of any gas lamps still in Kent and it was only in certain parts of central London that they were  left.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 16:13:23 »
Do you remember when railway stations had gas lighting? Up until the 60's or 70's, I believe. We were convinced they had a contract with the gas company to use a certain amount of gas as they were on all day and night.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 13:28:53 »
I can remember a man walking alone the streets opening the gas lights and igniting them i asume he went round first thing putting them out again i also remember the big electric ones being sited in the streets. What i cant remember was the dates does anyone remember the person lighting the gas street lights.
We lived in a gas only house until i was 6 or 7 and i remember a gas mantel cost 6 pence (real pre 1971 pence) and they were very easy to break

Certainly remember the guy coming up Wickham street in Rochester when I was a lad.  So that would have been 1955 (when we moved there).  I reckon I must have been about 7 or possibly 8 when they stopped doing it which makes it about 1960/61 but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

On the subject of your "gas only" house, I recall that when they changed that area over to North Sea gas, they were very perturbed to find that a lady in Catherine street still had gas lighting!  They had to specially make parts for her gas mantles - her name was Betty something.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:38 »
I was wondering when the last gas street lamp was finally extinguished in Kent? Or are there a few still burning?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 22:35:03 »
The swinging on the bar that the gasman lent his ladder on to clean the glass.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 22:03:47 »
I remember gas lighting outside Glencoe School, Chatham late 1950's. Gas lighting in a part of London has only been removed  in the last couple of years.   

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:02 »
I can remember the Lamp man lighting the gas lamps in Dane Road Margate when I was a mere young lad. The fun was that when he had dissappeared us lads would climb on anothers back and turn the lamp off he would look most puzzled when he walked back on the other side of the road to find the lamp out. This would be about 1953 give or take ayear.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Gas Street Lighting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:21 »
I can remember a man walking along the streets, opening the gas lights and igniting them. I assume he went round first thing putting them out again. I also remember the big electric ones being sited in the streets. What I can`t remember was the dates. Does anyone remember the person lighting the gas street lights.
We lived in a gas only house until I was 6 or 7 and I remember a gas mantle cost 6 pence (real pre 1971 pence) and they were very easy to break.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines