News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A murder in Northfleet 1921  (Read 2768 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: A murder in Northfleet 1921
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 16:21:07 »
 You can read me like a book Minsterboy..I just cannot pass a bargain buy/by  :)  I'm afraid. this is one I have had for some time now it came with a box of Steam train books I purchased, God knows why it was with them. It is a very interesting read and one thing that I did not realise...I know I'm rambling here.... is that the Hangman used to travel around the country for his job. In Maidstone one day, a few days later in Birmingham then off to Somerset etc. That is all new to me.

Minsterboy

Re: A murder in Northfleet 1921
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 16:06:57 »
You been to the boot fair again Mr. Bottles.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
A murder in Northfleet 1921
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 15:01:54 »
At about 5.30pm on Saturday, September 25th 1920, A Mrs Reed who lived at Five Ash Road Northfleet, heard someone tapping at the front window. She went for a look and on opening the door Harriet Lever fell into her arms and Mrs Reed saw her throat had been cut.
A little while before this George Lever, harriets husband, had walked up to police Sergeant Holt who was on duty in Princes Road handed him a blood stained cut throat razor and admited he had murdered his wife near the tramway depot in Perry Street. When the story of George Lever was told it proved to be a serious indictment of the caring attitude of the authorities in this country. George had been in the army for 20 years had risen to the rank of sergeant major and had served his country well and was finaly discharged due to nervous debility. The powers that be then decreed that as he had not completed 21 years, he was not entitled to a pension. As a result of this scandelous decision he and his wife were forced into abject poverty and were finaly put out of their rooms. Harriet had been married before and so went and lived with her sister in law Mrs Nisbet, George remained homeless until on the day he killed his wife, he called at her lodgings to tell her he had found a room for her and the children. This was just a ruse so he could get her alone and cut her throat. The crime was said to be motiveless as they had been quite happy together, but when one examines the circumstances the true motive appeared to be one of sheer desperation with the way of life George and Harriet had come down to. The trial took place in November and an appeal was soon dismissed. No reprieve was forthcoming and george was hanged on Friday 7th January 1921.

George Lever aged 51 was executed at Maidstone prison. The Hangman was, Thomas pierrepoint. His victime Harriet was aged 35 and died as the result of a cut throat.

Details from Encyclopedia of executions of the 1900's

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines