News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Luton Memorial Gardens  (Read 4350 times)

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
Re: Luton Memorial Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 19:17:36 »
Although the meadow was dedicated in June 1948 as a “living memorial” to the residents of Luton who had lost their lives during WWII, the memorial garden within the meadow came about thanks to the efforts of a local resident and a small group of volunteers.

In 2001, it was realised that there was no memorial to the residents of Luton who lost their lives during World War II, despite there being a memorial to the fallen of WWI within the lych gate of the old Luton Christ Church.  Following research, an area within the Luton Memorial Meadow was landscaped and the memorial garden constructed through local fund-raising and donations. A service of re-dedication was held in June 2008.

A small group of volunteers now maintain both the meadow and the memorial garden.

The names of those who lost their lives are recorded in a Book of Remembrance on display in Luton Library.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 19:01:17 »
I'm told that this photograph is of the dedication ceremony that took place on 5th June 1948. Prior to this the meadow was known as Luton Rectory Meadow.
Royal Marine Band for the service.

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 18:19:14 »
I'm told that this photograph is of the dedication ceremony that took place on 5th June 1948. Prior to this the meadow was known as Luton Rectory Meadow.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 00:14:23 »

HI numanfan, glad you liked the photo ,and what a great memory you have of it ,really nice .

Online numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 19:52:36 »
Great photo Ajemp, thanks for posting it :)

Here's the view nowadays, with the memorial garden next to the scout hut

It's also nice to see the Rectory. I spent the first few weeks of my life in there.

At the time my parents lived in a tiny, cold flat in Henry Street which apparently wasn't suitable to take home a new-born baby. John Speers offered to put us up for as long as required - a very Christian act :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 18:36:46 »

This is photo as promised ,at Luton Memorial Meadow , not sure what year this was taken , perhaps some body may know,

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
Luton Memorial Gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 18:30:55 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines