News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Silver Jubilee 1977  (Read 10809 times)

merc

Re: Silver Jubilee 1977
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 16:44:51 »
These are on the gates, at The Square(?), near the High Street, Aylesford.

merc

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 19:00:32 »
Going through some old documents I found these today. One's from my playgroup and the other's from our street party.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 11:32:21 »
I was in the army cadets in Folkestone at the time, and about 5 of us went and gave a drill demonstration for some street party where our lance corporal lived. At the time the Folkestone platoon had hit a low point, and so us 5 were pretty much the whole platoon. However, our display was simple, and went down so well that we had several encores.  :)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 19:22:48 »
I have one of those Silver Jubilee triangular money boxes somewhere too. My Silver Jubilee was spent at a street party in Chatham, dressed as Robin Hood, complete with green tights! Not one of my best days :)
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BONZO

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 16:00:41 »
Another grumpy anti-monarchist teenager at the time too!

Didn't want anything to do with the occasion at the time apart from playing the Sex Pistols "God save the Queen" at high volume until being told to "turn that flippin' racket off".  :)

Offline rochester1

• Appreciation 18
  • 1936 - 22.03.2017
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 17:50:52 »
As part of the Silver Jubilee celebrations Courages Brewery then working out of the Parkwood area of Maidstone contacted me at my joinery workshop in Borstal and asked me to visit! What could be better? On arrival I was shown an old trade sign that had been removed from the Style and Winch building that had stood adjacent to Maidstone bridge and asked whether I could design a stand to accept these items (they were in fact a representation of a glass of John Courage beer some 4feet tall and made of lead and a water jug of equally large dimensions decorated in shades of beige to brown with coach and horses) which had been beautifully signwritten by Vic Charlton a signwriter from Strood. These were then to stand outside the brewery in the lawned area. Money they said, was no object and please could they have some gold incorporate; Oh and could we have it next week!! I went away and after some thought purchased some teak at enormous cost plus some decorative vine leaves which were to be painted gold. Having constructed said stand I turned up at Courages once again and my work was inspected by the Managing Director.
"Quite beautiful" he said; "too good to put outside, we'll put it in the Foyer."
"Had you told me that before, I would have made it totally differently" I said.
"Then take it away and do as you wish" he replied.
At this time having not received a penny piece for any work or outlay I queried the cost of doing this and explaining how expensive the finished article would be, bearing in mind I would now be throwing away some £ 200 of teak, not to mention the labour.
"No problem" he said."Lets go to the directors dining room and have lunch while we talk it over."
Me in my working clothes in the directors dining room!! I have never felt so uncomfortable. I need not have worried however as they ate like savages. And they took away what was left over in bags.
I rebuilt the stand and once again delivered it. The trade articles sat beautifully on it and all was well. Money was paid, I was happy and that was that.
Until a certain Public House owner from Walderslade (who shall remain nameless) on a jolly at the Brewery for a Martini promo, decided he had drunk enough Martini and went to the bonded store where he purchased some Brandy. After drinking enough to sink a battle ship he then decided to nick the water jug from the stand (5 feet in diameter) and take it out through the revolving doors!!! Disaster. But more work for me. That was my Silver Jubilee.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 21:09:43 »
As the pubs had to shut in the afternoon back then, me and my mates went to a public area next to Lingfield race course because our 'local' was doing the outside bar during the afternoon there. I noticed a girl with long reddish blond hair. She found out her brother knew me and persuaded him to take her to the pub where I was likely to be 'celebrating the Jubilee’ that evening. The rest is history. We married three years later to the day and are still together now.

Offline editorsfoot

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 20:44:46 »
Only 4 years old and living in Higham Wood in Tonbridge, lots of the roads had a street party, but were very much only for the people of that road. Seemed to be far more young families living on that estate than today, think a lot of people still live in the same houses so far fewer young children.

silkenrobe

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 22:09:53 »
Our street had a big party, with live band, decorations and the local Newspaper took photo's
Our street one best street in the area
Attached photo was taken during those celebrations and are off a pushchair push to the Strand taken at the end of Cornwallis Avenue
Can give names if anyone wants to know :)

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:08:02 »
Don't really remember much about it, being a bit of an anti-monarchist teenager back then, but I kept two part-used sheets of "Jubilee stickers", which had a crown and 1977 on them, about an inch diameter.

I've got one of those stickers on a old piggy bank in the garage - we got them from school.  Apparently things were better in 1977 than now:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9275144/Life-was-better-in-1977-poll-finds.html

I can agree with most of it (without wanting to turn this thread into one of the "do you remember" type threads we already have in General Chat),  Of course, one of the reasons I found it better was that I didn't have to worry about jobs and a mortgage :)

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 16:02:02 »
Don't really remember much about it, being a bit of an anti-monarchist teenager back then, but I kept two part-used sheets of "Jubilee stickers", which had a crown and 1977 on them, about an inch diameter.

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 00:40:00 »
I was camping in Germany at the time with Chatham division of St Johns Ambulance on their annual camp. Managed to get the Union flag flying over Bad Lahnstein castle on the day.

Geoff B

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 23:09:55 »
I was living in London then and went to Charing Cross bridge in the evening for the massive fireworks display. I dont think I have seen a better one since then it was special. it went on for ages.

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 19:46:42 »
I celebrated with a street party in Tower Hamlets,Dover,in the square at East street/West street and then later at Vale View road,Dover,as i had more friends in Vale View than in Tower Hamlets were i lived.I seem to remember that the party was better in Vale View road,better food and drink.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 13:25:49 »
Oh, Sentinel S4, how I know just what you mean!  I have never asked my children their thoughts on that day but I absolutely hated it.  Luckily I will never have to endure these street parties again as my grand-children are too old.   By the way I still live in the same place.   The only thing that broke the atmosphere was that next door caught their kitchen alight.   

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines