News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Silver Jubilee 1977  (Read 10803 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
Re: Silver Jubilee 1977
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:53:28 »
My brother and I were sent to a street party at Mayfield Avenue, Dover. All the kids wore fancy dress: My brother was a parcel and I was a die. Costumes cunningly made by my mother from two old large boxes. She decorated the boxes, cut some holes, plonked them over our heads and sent us on our way. What she didn't do was cut any arm holes in the 'costumes'!

We stood around like a couple of idiots made even worse by the fact my brother was unable to recieve his third-place prize as he was rendered arm-less. It was from this day that I became a republican.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 22:29:53 »
Oh the painful memories of the street party, the neighbours trying to out do each other with the food and the decorations. The 'I did that, and that or this', the backhand jibes, the snubs and the general sniping at each other. That was just the adults, the kids were even worse. I hated the whole thing and NEVER wish to repeat the experiance, thank the Gods that my kids have now left home...........

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 20:02:55 »
I was still living in Luton Road in those days but a few of us got together and  strung bunting across our section of the Road. Had to stop the traffic including the buses to do so. No hope of having a street party, for us we met in our houses.   

merc

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:00 »
I was only 4 at the time, but I vaguely remember the street party we had in our road. We had some indoor benches at home that were took outside and used. I did have a commemorative coin which i think i might have got from my playschool, but it seems to have dissapeared somewhere.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:27:53 »
I was at home with mum and dad in 77 at Bexleyheath and our road was closed off for a street party as were many others. My youngest brother ( I am the oldest of Six boys) was the only one who was allowed to sit down for the food and drinks as there were just so many children up our road...from what I can remember. It was a real celebration at the time and I hope that the celebration that is looming is just as good if not better. Dad used a Cine camera a lot during this period and it always nice to look back at all us kids actualy moving around...wish he had had sound!

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 23:37:09 »
We had a street party in our road (I was only ten at the time). Would be impossible now as the whole road is full of parked cars. Back then hardly anyone in our road had one. We all dressed up in red white and blue. I had a Union Jack hat. After we had eaten too much food we all moved down to a nearby field and everyone joined in (kids and adults) playing games like egg and spoon race, sack race etc. Although it was a long time ago I still remember it very clearly.

Glen

Merry

Silver Jubilee 1977
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 22:55:58 »
With the Diamond Jubilee celebrations getting underway, I wondered what memories folk have of the Silver Jubilee?

I can't remember doing anything special at school, but because I had friends living on the Broadway estate (we lived in Featherby Road) my sister and I were allowed to go to their street party. This were held in one of the side-roads that led to the garages, and there was party food, bunting and games.  I have a vague memory that my mum won a tea-towel in one of the races.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines