News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sittingbourne Paper Mill  (Read 6467 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: Sittingbourne Paper Mill
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 22:41:58 »
Sittingbourne Paper Mill news item 1871.

It is mentioned by the Shipper's Circular that Mr. Lloyd, the proprietor of Lloyd's Weekly News, now owns 180,000 acres of land in Algeria, where the Esparto grass is grown that is used in the manufacture of his paper. He has his own ships for bringing the grass over from Africa, and having now built a magnificent papermill at Sittingbourne, with many acres of land attached, his vessels will in future be able to sail up the Medway, and deliver their cargoes at his factory doors.

From the Evening Journal (Aus) 27 December 1871.

Ridham Docks were not built until 1913. In 1871 Milton Creek would have been used to unload the ships.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 23:30:13 »
Link to a short history of Sittingbourne Paper Mill from 1769 to its closure 31 January 2007. The link also has a members area for anyone who worked at the mill.
http://sittingbournemill.co.uk/sittingbournemill/history.php

Offline aveling

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 11:55:28 »
Bryn

This could easily be Coombe House. It is a grade II listed Georgian residence with windows like this. Latterly it has been a learning disabilities home and called Geoffrey Harris House. Last year the NHS put it up for sale for 1.8million! I am not sure if it sold. If you are coming to the special opening on the 6th you can see our copy of the Frank Lloyd picture which might assist in identifying the location.

Regards
Liz

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 18:39:15 »
The Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway have a copy of a signed framed photograph of Frank Lloyd, Edward's son, who ran the mills from 1890 until his death in 1927. The photograph was taken at Coombe House, Croydon where Frank lived for over 30 years. We understand that this is one of the photographs that were issued to employees around the time of Frank's death.
aveling! I`ve had this photo of Lloyd`s Band for many years and have never been certain where it was taken. My Dad, who is in the photo, once saw a copy of this which was captioned, "Sittingbourne". He said it wasn`t and I cannot remember where he said it was, but Croydon rings a bell in my memory. Could it be Coombe House?

Online grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:18 »
Before the Memorial Hospital was modernised there was a large framed picture of Frank LLoyd in the front entrance. I remember seeing it when I was incarcerated in Sunshine Ward for a few weeks circa 1954 with a fractured skull. There was a large fireplace just inside the ward door which the Nurses kept stoked up day and night. There were only 2 beds , from mine I could look out the ward door past the fireplace in the corner and see the picture on the wall. I have not seen it anywhere on recent visits but it may well be hung somewhere in the hospital still.
The attached 40 bed nursing home is named after Frank Lloyd.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72

Offline aveling

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 17:29:05 »
The Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway have a copy of a signed framed photograph of Frank Lloyd, Edward's son, who ran the mills from 1890 until his death in 1927. The photograph was taken at Coombe House, Croydon where Frank lived for over 30 years. We understand that this is one of the photographs that were issued to employees around the time of Frank's death.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 15:32:28 »
I own one of the works plates from one of the steam lorries that Lloyds owned. The lorry was bought by my Dad in the late 1940's.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Joedest

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 15:27:53 »
The Sittingbourne Paper Mill, ex Bowaters. My father worked in the Mill from 1918 until he retired. It was originally "Edward Lloyd" Mill. In the thirties each employee was given a framed photo of Mr LLoyd, which hung in our hall for many years. Not sure what the celebration was for.   :)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines