News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockside Outlet, Chatham  (Read 5071 times)

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 14
Re: Dockside Outlet, Chatham
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:21:00 »
2003 sounds right but July seems a little later then I remembered, but probably more poor memory than anything else. I remember going there for the opening day with stilt walkers and all sorts. There wasnt anything very exciting there shop wise at that time and we soon got on the bus and went to Bluewater, almost not worth skipping school to see!

Gibby926

Re: Dockside Outlet, Chatham
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 18:46:41 »
Found this. Looks like it was July 2003:

11 July, 2003 | By Retail Week online team

Retail Property - Chatham plans are furthered by Dockside Centre
Regeneration of Chatham's former docklands has taken its first major step forward with the opening of the£63 million Dockside Outlet Centre. A further£220 million is due to be invested in the regeneration of Chatham Maritime in Kent.

Dockside Outlet Centre, which was developed by J3 Developments, opened last week 88 per cent let, with 75 per cent of its floor space trading.

Clarks is due to open a 6,000 sq ft (557 sq m) unit and Suits You a 5,200 sq ft (483 sq m) outlet later this month.

Commercial director Colin Wilding said lettings at Dockside Outlet Centre were 'pretty much where I hoped they would be'.

Wilding is hoping to beef up the centre's tenant mix, with additional women's fashion and sportswear outlets, as well as retailers who will create a 'point of difference'.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Dockside Outlet, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 18:24:02 »
The core of the £63 million Dockside Outlet Centre is a Grade ll Listed Building ( the former dockyard boiler house) and was originally constructed at Woolwich Dockyard in about 1847, but was dismantled and re-erected in Chatham Dockyard between 1865-69. The building is historically important, as an early example of the use of cast and wrought iron, most of which can still be viewed. The original designers went on to build the Crystal Palace.

Much of the Outlet Centre itself is built around the old boiler house. 

One detail I can't find, but I'm hoping someone on the forum might know is when did it first open?   I know the Dickens World/Odeon Complex that was 'phase 2' of it opened in May 2007, but how long before did the main shopping part open?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines