News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can anyone confirm this ?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
Re: Can anyone confirm this ?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 15:53:42 »
Can't say for certain, but I think it unlikely. Domes and cupolas were the fashion then and there would be no need for the Revenue to watch the ships as they employed 'Tide Waiters' - people who would board the ship at its first port in England and stay on board until it reached its destination to see nothing was offloaded that shouldn't be.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:55:48 »
Perhaps HM Customs were there then? They certainly did the same at Gravesend.
mmitch.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 21:15:32 »
Nice story, it wouldn't surprise me at all, it's the kind of building that looks 'important' . I do know the Tax office used to be where the Job Centre is now as my Dad was an Income Tax Inspector and I went to visit him there one day (early  1960s ). Judging by the comment about watching ships, I imagine  this has to be in the 1800s. Who's got the Kelly's directory handy  :) Someone should be able to enlighten us. I'd love to know.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Toooldtodance

Can anyone confirm this ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 19:35:41 »
While chatting to some friends over a few pints Sunday the subject of tax rebates cropped up due to us all being self employed. One of my mates said that did we know about the original tax office near Anchorage House the present tax office. As you can see there is a glassed dome on the roof where he said the tax inspectors watched the ships sail past on route to the dockyard and taxed them accordantly. A lovely story and part of me hopes he is right but knowing him as we do he could be pulling our leg. Can anyone confirm or debunk this ?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines