News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1911 Dockyard Plan  (Read 6608 times)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Re: 1911 Dockyard Plan
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:51 »
More confirmation

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:27:51 »
Thank you Bromptonboy. I had guessed as much, but I like the confirmation.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 09:07:39 »
To amend my last comments a little, it seems that the Standard Gauge stopped at the division of Anchor Wharf and Gun Wharf. However the narrow gauge metals continued as I said almost to Sun Pier. This map is so full of information, again thanks for posting this Cliveh.

S4.
Sentinel S4, the standard gauge did go through onto Gun Wharf. If you go to the end of Anchor Wharf you can see the rail going under the wall that now blocks the old gateway from Anchor Wharf to Gun Wharf. As one of the 'Brompton Gang' we used to shin over the old RM Barracks wall and gain access to the Gun Wharf area and I recall the railway tracks. Also of great interest is the original Bill that was put forward for the original route of the railway. This took it on an elevated section from Rochester parallel with the river right into Chatham where at Military Road a branch was to enter the Dockyard via Gun Wharf. The main line was to enter a tunnel on the escarpment of the Lines roughly where Chatham Town Hall was built. The WD put a halt to this plan as they didn't want the railway going under the Fort Amherst area.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 18:51:10 »
As you can see on the plan there were two smitheries Maid of Kent. No.1 Smithery is still there and open to visitors. Much of it has been converted into modern exhibition spaces but part of it has been left more or less as it was.

No.2 Smithery was demolished in 1980 to make way for extra car parking - just 4 years before the Dockyard's closure!

cliveh

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 15:29:41 »
Went onto the site mentioned by the last writer and found the Smithery where a relation, Arthur Mudge, worked as a blacksmith from the mid 1890s to 1930s - it says in his obit C.M.Dept can anyone tell me what that department was. I am hoping to make a visit to the Dockyard this Sept - will I be able to find where the Smithery was.

I also see on the maps on this site (1911) mention of Chatham Barracks, would this be the same as Chatham Garrison (1890s) where my g.grandfather was Garrison Sgt. Major, if so, will I be able to find something of that too.

chriscapewell

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 14:08:15 »
This collection is available on the web.

British Empire Dockyards and Ports, 1909.
These plans of the many British Empire dockyards and ports are from the Dock Book, June 1909, published by the British Admiralty "For the Information of Officers in H. M. Service Only." (A rough average is 150 KB per plan)

This is a listing of the collection -
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/dkbk0000.htm

Specifically Chatham
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/dkbkpl04.jpg

There is also a plan for Sheerness.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 19:52:19 »
To amend my last comments a little, it seems that the Standard Gauge stopped at the division of Anchor Wharf and Gun Wharf. However the narrow gauge metals continued as I said almost to Sun Pier. This map is so full of information, again thanks for posting this Cliveh.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:22 »
That is fantastic. Thanks Cliveh. As a railway enthusiast it answers a lot of questions. I did not realise that the rails almost reached Sun Pier. That would have made the SER Chatham Central Station more viable if the connection had ever been made. Very interesting, I would love to view the original, again from the railway point of view.

S4.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
1911 Dockyard Plan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:00:22 »
Here's an Admiralty plan of the Dockyard from 1911. Sorry, it's huge so I've had to cut it into three sections:

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines